PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise on 2007 when accelerating from stop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Noise on 2007 when accelerating from stop.

It sounds like a motor mount in the engine bay. It only does this when taking off after a stop. Sometimes it happens when braking but not often. Here is a video of the sound. I have noticed that the motor moves more than it should. How many mounts are there? I know there is one by the passenger side wheel. This is an automatic with around 160,000 miles. Thanks.

Sound clip

View My Video
Old 24 Apr 2013, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Noise on 2007 when accelerating from stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer92 View Post
It sounds like a motor mount in the engine bay. It only does this when taking off after a stop. Sometimes it happens when braking but not often. Here is a video of the sound. I have noticed that the motor moves more than it should. How many mounts are there? I know there is one by the passenger side wheel. This is an automatic with around 160,000 miles. Thanks.

Sound clip

View My Video
As far as i know, there is the lower torque strut *by passenger side wheel* upper mount *above that next to timing belt cover*

Front mount *sorta kinda behind license plate*

And tranny mount *drivers side slightly above where the lower torque strut is on the passenger*.

Then again I haven't changed my mounts in FOREVER.

Try jacking up the front, then put her in drive, and give it some gas, if the motor jerks back and forth, mounts are shot.

If not, i would check the swaybar bushing :-)
Old 24 Apr 2013, 05:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most often mounts are replaced when timing belt is done because they're shot - if your's are original, chances are they're long gone.
I have read of using windshield polyurethane adhesive - in a caulking gun, shoot in motor mounts and let cure - supposedly does the trick with little effort.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Well the noise seems to only happen when taking off suddenly. If I go slow after stopping it does not make a noise. I guess I'll put up with this for now and wait to get new mounts when timing belt needs to be replaced. Speaking of timing belts, in the event that mine breaks, am I safe or will I need a new engine? I hear PT's are non-interference but if a belt breaks, valves hit each other. IS this true or false?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer92 View Post
Well the noise seems to only happen when taking off suddenly. If I go slow after stopping it does not make a noise. I guess I'll put up with this for now and wait to get new mounts when timing belt needs to be replaced. Speaking of timing belts, in the event that mine breaks, am I safe or will I need a new engine? I hear PT's are non-interference but if a belt breaks, valves hit each other. IS this true or false?
What year is your PT?

Most Pt motors are non-interference. Meaning they will not implode if the belt pops, however this has a speed limit to it. Damage can occur at speeds greater than 50MPH.

If it breaks under 50.......your golden, if it breaks over 50........time to rip her down and look for piston pieces floating around in there.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:10 pm
Young Cruiser

It is a 2007 Touring
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
What year is your PT?

Most Pt motors are non-interference. Meaning they will not implode if the belt pops, however this has a speed limit to it. Damage can occur at speeds greater than 50MPH.

If it breaks under 50.......your golden, if it breaks over 50........time to rip her down and look for piston pieces floating around in there.
First off no worries on the piston peaces that can't happen. The valves can bump off the opposing valves and maybe bend one even that is rare. If you have it down for a belt change, not that big a deal to pop in a couple valves. If a shop is doing it well that will certainly change things. If you plane for it you going to save the tow bill. You get to choose when it is that its down and you get to shop for price. Also much easier to do if you got one on to go by if your doing yourself.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
First off no worries on the piston peaces that can't happen. The valves can bump off the opposing valves and maybe bend one even that is rare. If you have it down for a belt change, not that big a deal to pop in a couple valves. If a shop is doing it well that will certainly change things. If you plane for it you going to save the tow bill. You get to choose when it is that its down and you get to shop for price. Also much easier to do if you got one on to go by if your doing yourself.
I'm sorry. I was thinking of a much higher speed to bust the pistons * i broke a belt im my old beretta and snapped a piston, also shoved a rod right through the oil pan :/*
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gamer92 On the PT Cruiser they recommended to changing the timing belt and the water pump at 96,000 miles.If it goes up your going to pay double cause it is the same place . As far as motor mounts look over the passenger fender the top mount is right there if its bad the rubber webs ( 3 ) 1 or 2 may be broken you can see that. I replaced mine with B Woody solid mounts . They are located in Edgewood,MD . They are online and about 130.00 for both . You won't regret it. when your ready to do it get them and have whoever put them in .

where are you located?

Just go to google and enter-------> BWoody Performance Products ------> then click on solid motor mounts

Last edited by fy9-03pt; 25 Apr 2013 at 08:59 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What is the difference in vibration over the stock mounts do you feel when at idle and in drive?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com