PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2010 PT - the tally so far

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2010 PT - the tally so far

2010 PT Cruiser, purchased new in Nov 2009, currently 25000 on the odometer.

Repairs so far:

Oct 2012, 23000 miles, both front wheel bearings replaced.

Apr 2013 25000 miles, head gasket for oil leak, lower control arm bushings, rusting out around outer edge of passenger side rear wheel well.
According to the dealer, the rust is due to "wicking in of moisture along the inner edge of the wheel well panel" which to me equates to lousy factory paint and prep work.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2010 PT - the tally so far

All of these can also be aggravated by not being driven as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: 2010 PT - the tally so far

2006 PT GT 5 speed
3rd Owner
26,251 miles
Dropped 2.75 inches in the front, 3 inches in the rear
Quite a few performance mods

Owned for 2 years, no repairs, nice looking paint too.

woahgt likes this.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 06:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had a 2006 Touring Edition. It was better build quality, better fit and finish than the 2010. My daughter totaled it. She was sitting at a traffic light, behind a stake bed truck, waiting for the light to change, when a box truck behind her forgot to stop and plowed into the rear, pushing it into the back of the stake bed truck. Controlled crushability test.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would say the daughter was driving when the box truck totaled the 06. Not much she could have done. Glad she wasn't hurt. Hope you were lucky enough to get hit by someone with insurance. Back to yours. When a car isn't driven much, the conditions of storage becomes important. Cool dry place not much happens far as rust, dry rotting of rubber, and moisture collecting in parts. Out side with the constant changes of temp and weather is hard on a car. Would be better if driving more as the heat from the car and the wind going down the road dries up things while keeping thing moving. At least this is some of the problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:28 am
Cool Cruiser

My GT is an 03 and have never had any problems with Moisture ,Weather OR Rust . I'm in MD and the car has been in 2 1/2 ft of snow. Its never been covered or garaged . It was backed on by a Lowe's truck and did 6,758.80 in Damage .Just had it Painted last year just to change from Electric Blue and my SHLB-PT Theme .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in aflorida 001.jpg (96.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy9-03pt View Post
My GT is an 03 and have never had any problems with Moisture ,Weather OR Rust . I'm in MD and the car has been in 2 1/2 ft of snow. Its never been covered or garaged . It was backed on by a Lowe's truck and did 6,758.80 in Damage .Just had it Painted last year just to change from Electric Blue and my SHLB-PT Theme .
You didn't mention the milage. I'm pretty sure that you have a few miles. I myself have an 03 n/a with 172 k no rust, just took off original shocks. But it has had some replacements on the other items. And it lived it's entire life out doors right here in WV. It's the combo of moisture and setting around , taking short drives and sitting. That's were the difference comes in.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: 2010 PT - the tally so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
When a car isn't driven much, the conditions of storage becomes important. Cool dry place not much happens far as rust, dry rotting of rubber, and moisture collecting in parts. Out side with the constant changes of temp and weather is hard on a car. Would be better if driving more as the heat from the car and the wind going down the road dries up things while keeping thing moving. At least this is some of the problem.
The 2010 is driven work, typically 40 mile round trip. Being a substitute science teacher (no full time jobs available in the area) sometimes a week of work is three days, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Summer is no work, but then it gets used for local trips to mall, etc on a regular basis. Garage is full with a 2000 3ooM and a 1995 Thunderbird so it does get parked on the black top drive way, but I've done that before with many other cars and never saw rust like that until they got close to 10 years old with over 200k on the odometer. They cut corners on the 2010 PT. not as many power plugs inside, cut back on trim inside and out, even did away with the rubber seal around the rear hatch window, the factory radio provides marginal audio quality at best, compared to our 2006 PT. Just glad I did get an extended warranty and starting to get my money out of it. The 3ooM was never brought in for warranty work. Only thing I've had to do was routine maint. which I do myself on all the cars in my fleet. I've seen many garage queen cars get bought when the owner moves on to greener pastures, it gets parked outdoors, and in a very short time usually less than 6 months they decompose at an accelerated rate. FWIW, my first mopar was a 190 slant six 1964 Dart with push button auto. I've also had Fury's, Coronets, early 70's Darts, and an 85 K body turbo New Yorker and 88 K body V6 New Yorker. I'm not new to Chrysler products.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Interesting off topic story on how I got the 85 Turbo New Yorker. It was my MIL's car, she wanted to trade it in for something new, when my father in law brought it in for trade in the sales people wouldn't give him much for it, claiming it was poorly maintained, but the sales droid didn't realize that all the maint done on that car for everything was done at THAT dealership. MY F-I-L said he would rather torch the car than trade it in to the dealer at such a low price, so to promote family harmony I took it off their hands for a fair price.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 12:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Busted ; I agree with your post #5. Also, sitting on pavement is better than sitting on a dirt driveway, as it dries quicker.