Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft Position Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Camshaft Position Sensor

I had a malfunctioning CMP, got it replaced.
The check engine turned on again, and it reported the same problem.
I took the new CMP that I had just bought and exchanged it for another one.
Got it replaced and today again the car started pullng back and forth while Driving at normal speed. My PT is a 2004 one, and before going to the me hanic again i wanted to know what it might be. I have a busy schedule and I want to fix this now.

thanks
Old 25 Apr 2013, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiccardoXXV View Post
I had a malfunctioning CMP, got it replaced.
The check engine turned on again, and it reported the same problem.
I took the new CMP that I had just bought and exchanged it for another one.
Got it replaced and today again the car started pullng back and forth while Driving at normal speed. My PT is a 2004 one, and before going to the me hanic again i wanted to know what it might be. I have a busy schedule and I want to fix this now.

thanks
Is the sensor OEM? From Mopar?

If not. If its from napa, or autozone etc. Thats your issue. The Pt's usually will not work with any sensors that are not OEM.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well I don't totally agree. I can't tell you if they will last as long but the chances that two brand new ones won't work from the get go. Not likely. So you may have a issue with the crank sensor. It has happened before. Check the magnet on the cam or even the wiring harness for the sensor. That is way more likely than the new cps. Please follow up and let us know the out come for others to come.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Well I don't totally agree. I can't tell you if they will last as long but the chances that two brand new ones won't work from the get go. Not likely. So you may have a issue with the crank sensor. It has happened before. Check the magnet on the cam or even the wiring harness for the sensor. That is way more likely than the new cps. Please follow up and let us know the out come for others to come.
Good point, I completely overlooked the CS :-D
Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

When my CPS went up I got the Crank sensor and replaced them both at the same time .
Old 26 Apr 2013, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I can tell you that when I put in a sensor from Autozone mine kicked on me about 10 minutes later and the light only took 5 minutes to come back on. I put on a MOPAR part and no problems since.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strilla View Post
I can tell you that when I put in a sensor from Autozone mine kicked on me about 10 minutes later and the light only took 5 minutes to come back on. I put on a MOPAR part and no problems since.
One must remember that Mopar contracts out the making of such parts. They do not manufacturer it themselves. One of the aftermarket makers were the original provider. No way to know who.
But you did say you only bought the one that is a different set of odds than doing it twice in a row. Your getting into lottery odds when you get to multiples. The magnet could have had metal fragments on it that got wiped off the second time around. Who knows?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
2004, camshaft position sensor, cmp, malfunctioning, ptcruiser