PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
There is a ghost in my car

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy There is a ghost in my car

Hello all, I have a 2001 Pt Limited edition, manual shift 5 speed (love my manual)

anyway a couple of weeks ago we had a heavy rain storm where I live, and the apt. complex that I live at the parking lot flooded. I came out in the morning to find my car in water, to where the water was just above the bottom crack of the door. I did have some water inside the car enough to get the bottom of your feet wet. now it has been a week since the rain hit. I have been running the heat on full blast, vacuumed a couple of times. the thing is the car runs fine until...
1. I turn on my radio my interior lights come on for a split sec. and turn back off. if I turn off my radio my car doors lock again. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I have since put black duct tape over my interior lights because it is annoying.

2. my alarm has been going off when I lock the car either with my key fob of having the key in the door. I am manual pressing each lock button down so my alarm is not set.

3. I took it to the Dealership today and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Until I got in the car and showed them and they are stumped.

sorry if this is long I'm just trying to fig. out what is up. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look to fix problem myself without the dealership take me for what little I have to fix problem.
I have limited money and cant afford new car nor will ins. pay.

Please help!!!

Last edited by theboogmobile; 25 Apr 2013 at 06:46 pm. Reason: posted under wrong forum, sorry
Old 25 Apr 2013, 10:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: There is a ghost in my car

Surely the dealer reset the computer. If they didn't take negative battery cable off for five minutes to reset. It's worth a try. Good luck
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 25 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

id say the computer got wet some how bout the only thing that controls that many things
Old 25 Apr 2013, 11:23 pm
Banned

God bless the 5 speeds
Old 26 Apr 2013, 12:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Sorry to say, but if you don't get all of the water out from under the rugs, you will end up with a moldy smelling car. And rusty floors.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you can get the use of a dehumidifier. Put it in the car and be careful not to damage the cord and close it up and let it run about 8 to 12 hrs. this will dry things out. It would be even better if you can take the trim off that goes along the edge of the carpet and prop the eadges up a little. So it can pull water from under carpet. Should be dry as toast when done. I think there may be a module under the console that controls the inside stuff. I my be all wet on that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2013, 09:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hard to say without the specific FSM for your year, but the wiring diagrams for my 08 show various wiring harnesses under the carpet some of which contain splices. If these harnesses and associated splices and connectors got flooded then all kinds of electrical gremlins can occur. A FSM for your PT would be a very helpful troubleshooting aid but in any case, you need to pull up the carpet and inspect the wiring.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
God bless the 5 speeds
I don't get foreign religion
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 01:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Vlef ; your in luck. I've got an extra ticket to next years marathon. Good seats too. By the finish line. I'm sure that there will be people that can explain their views to you. Talk loud, that always helps. I'll meet you up there, but I might be a little late.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 01:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Boog; some of the older chryslers had a heavy rubbery padding built under the rugs which would not allow water to evaporate thru the rugs. I ended up pulling out the rugs from an Acclaim for a water leak. A grounding wire was completely corroded off under the seat! Just a green blob. It took about 3 days of hanging the rugs from a clothesline in the sun to get them dry.

Good luck

Tags
electrical problems