PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Central Locking / Power Locks - Wont Lock !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2013, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Central Locking / Power Locks - Wont Lock !!

Hi, I've had this problem for a while but am juts getting round to fixxing it.

Teh remote key fob will not Unlock / Lock the doors, however it's more than a Remote Key Entry problem !!

When sitting in the Car and I press the Drivers Lock rocker switch to LOCK position on the Door, all the locks try and unlock even though they are already unlocked.

Then if I manually push down all the Door Lock Plungers so all doors are locked and again press the the Drivers Lock rocker switch to LOCK position on the Door, all the locks unlock.

I'd like to get the locks working first before trying to fix the remote

Any ideas ?

Many thanks
Old 28 Apr 2013, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Central Locking / Power Locks - Wont Lock !!

If you don't think it's an RKE module problem, did you try resetting the computer to see if that helps? Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually perhaps I spoke too soon on the RKE aspect.

What do you think I should check first ? And how would I check the computer z?

Regards
Old 28 Apr 2013, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe the RKE module can only be checked/accessed by a scanner.

As far as resetting the computer. Take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal to get rid of any excess charge then put it all back together. This resets the computer, gets rid of any old fault codes ans changes everything back to their original settings. It might run rough for a few minutes while the computer re-learns your settings.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi CREWZIN,

I've done a Computer Reset by removing the Battery power for 10mins.

After reconnecting and testing the doors, none of the Power Lock functions work.

i.e.
Pressing the Door Electronic Rocker Switches to LOCK or UNLOCK on Driver or Passenger side does not do anything. The RKE can no longer be heard to click in the dash and the Door Plungers no longer attempt to lock.

Using the External Door Key does not invoke Power Locks.....

The Remote Button Unlock does nothing.

All Power Lock functionality appears to have gone.

Note Fuse 3 by the drivers side had also been double checked.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also, if you have a 2001-2005, there's the fuse box in the engine compartment and the #10 fuse is also for the Remote Keyless Entry.

Old 30 Apr 2013, 03:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi There,

I have checked Fuse 10 in the Power Distribution Centre (as well as all teh other fuses). It's OK.

I have also check Fuse 3 in the internal cabin Fuse Block near the Driver.

Both are OK, but there is absolutly no action of any of the Power Locks via any method since resetting the Computer (remove battery for 15 mins).

Does anybody have any ideas what next to check ?

Many thanks
Bob
Old 30 Apr 2013, 04:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Hello,
In your original post, you seem to be saying that the lock buttons on the door worked in reverse; pressing lock activates 'unlock action'.
Was the reverse true? Did the door button action work in reverse when pressing unlock? Crossed wires?

Now, in addition to fuses #10 in the PDC and #3 in the fuse block, all of these other fuses (and their circuits, have you checked every other electrical function?) are associated with the remote keyless entry:
PDC fuse #18 20amp and in the fuse block, numbers 1- 25amp, 10- 10amp, 13- 10amp.

The RKE and PCM need to be synched. The RKE may be bad and not just misbehaving.
on edit: Check the fuses for continuity and not appearance alone. How new is your car battery?

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 30 Apr 2013 at 04:24 pm. Reason: More to say
Old 30 Apr 2013, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here is a cut and paste from the site: ptdoityourself.net. This is a membership site, but lots of free information also.

"(question answer)...The RKE module is not a DIY repair. We would suggest that have your local DC dealer test the Remote Keyless Entry Module to determine if it is faulty. When replacing a faulty RKE Module, the replacement module must be configured by the dealer with a DRB lll scan tool for proper operation. Additionally, all (FOB) transmitters must be reprogrammed to the new RKE module...

Follow up from owner - I have the resolution to my problem. I exchanged my RKE module with the same results. The module still clicked but did not actuate power locks. I again checked the fuses. The 20 amp RKE fuse was good. After removal of fuse several times the locks started working. Lesson learned; clicking does not mean RKE is getting power only logic power. I cleaned the contacts in fuse panel and everything appears to be OK now..."

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 30 Apr 2013 at 04:29 pm.