Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine light on / Power Steering issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2013, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine light on / Power Steering issue?

A few days ago my '2001 PT Cruiser limited' dashboard engine light came on and stays on.
After researching here I was able to check for the code. It was P 0551.
I took my PT into PEP Boys (my regular go to auto-shop) to have its regular oil change and had asked that they check out what may be the cause for the engine light. Later they said it had the code showing that there is a Power Steering issue based on the code that their diagnostics showed.
The mechanic had said that it could JUST be the power steering sensor.
The PT's steering has been just fine--no problems at all while driving.
What does all think here?
Old 30 Apr 2013, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light on / Power Steering issue?

YES, the mechanic at Pep Boys was right (never thought i would hear myself saying that). The Power Steering Pressure switch has been the cause of many owners getting the P0551 fault code. If you do-it-yourself, it's a messy job but could save you some $$$ in labor costs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin!! you have always been the biggest help here!!!!!! I will go ahead and do just that--ill update later on
Old 13 Jun 2013, 08:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to update, I have not done anything with the sensor and there has been no need for anything mechanical to be fixed since last I posted.
I try to ignore the engine light as much as possible,,lol.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had that code come up with my 2001 LE PT. I changed the power steering pressure switch myself. You have to be ready to put the new one in right when you take the old one out or you'll spill power steering fluid everywhere like I did.

You'll need a 7/8" deep socket and a couple of extensions for your ratchet. To remove the old one, first you reach up in there to disconnect the cable. From there you use the deep socket and the extensions. Once you remove the old one, you'll have to reach up in there to start the second one by hand. I had a hard time trying to start threading it in with the extensions. Once that is is in, just reconnect it. Then make sure you top off your power steering fluid back to the recommended level.

Good Luck
Old 13 Jun 2013, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

had the same issue the other day with mine. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the contacts of the switch and connector because of dirt and all the rain water it got the other day.

Reconnected it and the light went off.....