Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP! 2006 PT Touring 2.5L DOHC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2013, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation HELP! 2006 PT Touring 2.5L DOHC

The other day, my timing belt broke and of course, the car died on the side of the road. I've just had someone put a new timing belt on and we tried to crank it and ... nada. He says that the valves are warped and it will need a head job. My questions ... 1. How much money am I looking at? 2. What will it entail (valves, water pump, etc.)? 3. The car has 123,000 miles on it ... is it worth it?

Please help. This is my only car and I must have a car. Should I put the money into the car or try to get a different one?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01 May 2013, 03:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! 2006 PT Touring 2.5L DOHC

The first thing to ask is has this guy did a timing belt on a PT Cruiser before? The Cruiser's are pretty difficult to get in time and if he doesn't know what he is doing then it can cause these kinds of issues.

The valves hitting each other does happen but not often. How fast were you going when it broke?
Old 01 May 2013, 05:30 pm
Banned

He wasnt the same guy who changed it out for you at the 100,000 mile maintenance interval was he?
Old 02 May 2013, 02:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Busa: You are a cruel cruel man.

Aubie: Flooded? --- Timing marks aligned? --- Getting spark? --- How did he determine the valves were bent?
Old 02 May 2013, 04:28 am
Banned

????????

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Busa: You are a cruel cruel man.

Aubie: Flooded? --- Timing marks aligned? --- Getting spark? --- How did he determine the valves were bent?
Old 02 May 2013, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie1170 View Post
The other day, my timing belt broke and of course, the car died on the side of the road. I've just had someone put a new timing belt on and we tried to crank it and ... nada. He says that the valves are warped and it will need a head job. My questions ... 1. How much money am I looking at? 2. What will it entail (valves, water pump, etc.)? 3. The car has 123,000 miles on it ... is it worth it?

Please help. This is my only car and I must have a car. Should I put the money into the car or try to get a different one?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ok, it's more than likely that it not timed correctly. Both cam sprockets have an up arrow as well as the timing marks that need to line up through the center of the cam bolts. Have them pull the top cover and the plugs and run turn it to top dead center and check the marks. If they are off you will see they won't line up.
Chrysler dealers have gotten wrong . It's not that uncommon to have that happen.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 02 May 2013 at 08:58 am.
Old 03 May 2013, 02:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Busa; Enjoyed your sarcasm. My guess is that many people disregard the maintenence, and run'em till they die; then blame the car. In this economy [the last decade], I can understand that. They could have bought a used car, and the former owner was lax on maintenence?

When foreign car owners buy a new car they just bring it to the dealership. And pull out the plastic. When the dealership replaces their timing belt, they call it 'scheduled maintenence'. When a PT breaks a timing belt at 120,000, it's called a junk car.

Tags
head job, timing belt, valves