PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Shake front wheels at 6o to 68

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2013, 08:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Shake front wheels at 6o to 68

Got a 2007 non turbo automatic for our daughter. It shakes in the steering wheel at 60 to 68 mph (feels side to side to me like bad axles.) I have had eight different front wheels and it has new Michelin tires on it (same ones used on my other two PTs and all are fine). Balance is not the issue, bent wheels are not issue. I balanced all eight myself at our shop. Put new axles in and it did not fix it. Sent old axles in for reman and they did not fix it. None of our other three PTs do this even with screwed up wheels and tires on them. All mounts and torque struts are good.

Any ideas I am overlooking?

Thanks,
Tom Hand
Old 04 May 2013, 08:55 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2007 PT Shake front wheels at 6o to 68

Maybe you need a new steering wheel

Or at least get a foam cover over it to absorb the vibration
rob342 likes this.
Old 04 May 2013, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Maybe you need a new steering wheel

Or at least get a foam cover over it to absorb the vibration
Or just fix it. This is always been tie rods, inner or outer. In my experiences.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 May 2013, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. Tie rods, ball joints, lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links, all good or new. Bearings fine.

More thoughts?
Tom
Old 04 May 2013, 10:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOETOM View Post
Thanks. Tie rods, ball joints, lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links, all good or new. Bearings fine.

More thoughts?
Tom
Alignment, if the wheels are in perfect parallel they will vibrate a speed. They should have a slight toe out. Not enough to cause ware just to keep them from resonating sorta speak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 May 2013, 10:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks but we run an alignment shop and all is perfect. It is the kind of shake you get when the inner CV joint is bad. Feels as if the engine is beng pushed side to side, not front to back. But, when running the wheels in the air at speed, it does not do it but then again, it has no load on the chassis either and the angle is not the same on the axles.
Tom
Old 04 May 2013, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOETOM View Post
Thanks but we run an alignment shop and all is perfect. It is the kind of shake you get when the inner CV joint is bad. Feels as if the engine is beng pushed side to side, not front to back. But, when running the wheels in the air at speed, it does not do it but then again, it has no load on the chassis either and the angle is not the same on the axles.
Tom
If every thing is perfect then there is no problem. You have eliminated every thing in the front end. So something can't be as perfect as you think. I don't think it's the axles. It's in the geometry somewhere.You will have to go over every aspect again and examine what is different than the other pt. Compare the differences in the alignment. Then try to duplicate it and see what you get. Let us know what the out come is.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2013, 02:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Voe; Is the engine positioned correctly left/right? The half shafts might be hitting the tranny and binding slightly. --- Indicate the hub diameter where the wheel fits over.
Old 05 May 2013, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Grab the tierod and yank it up and down. Mine was bad but trying to wiggle the wheel to check it like normal didn't show it
Old 05 May 2013, 09:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you checked the Rotors ? One could be warped causing an un balance at certian speed . that was a problem I had on my Jeep G/C .went over a railroad track about 45 and had a hard time keeping it straight. Slowed down and it would go away. Mine was from over tourque of Lugs . What about the bolting flange of the Wheel itself could have a slight twist or lug holes .