PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Towing with a Pt Cruiser 2004 (no turbo)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2013, 10:18 am
Young Cruiser

Default Towing with a Pt Cruiser 2004 (no turbo)

Hi guys,

I have to relocate out of state with my newly bought Pt Cruiser. I was considering using a U-Haul trailer, but it seems like I can't. Would you confirm me this? Online it looks like the hitch rating is 1000 lbs. According to U-Haul if your hitch rating is 1000, then allowed cargo weight is 0 lbs, as from picture attached.
Am I doing something wrong, or does this sounds right to you?
Also, is it recommandable to tow a trailer (It wouldn't get superheavy I believe) for about 700 miles? My Cruiser PT is in good conditions, 112.000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Immagine 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 05 May 2013, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Towing with a Pt Cruiser 2004 (no turbo)

U-haul is probably not going to rent you a trailer for a PT without a proper hitch rating? . As far as I know the only hitch available is a class 1- 1.25 ball. U-haul has set their own limit min/max on their trailers to what they feel is safe for them and this is because of past claims against them. You could tow if you are careful with loading position and driving safety precautions. The limit on a class 1 hitch with 1.25 ball is 2000lb total pay load with trailer. If you must use your PT for towing then maybe you might have to use another vehicle to rent the trailer and then swap out to your PT. But as I said use extreme care in load placement and total weight. The trailer shows 850 trailer weight so round to 1000lbs and load max 600lbs payload this will give you 400lbs fudge factor. Drive at or below 55mph ALL the time. Check the trailers tires for proper psi and also the bearing play. Frequently pull off the road and check your hitch and safety lights about every 250 miles or less. Make sure your PT has proper tire psi and that the tires are load rated for your journey. If it is an Auto stick go and get a transmission service before you attempt any towing!!!!

Good Luck Safe journey!

U-Haul
UptownSport likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 May 2013 at 10:48 am.
Old 05 May 2013, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just thought I'd chip in on this one... After changing all the suspension bushes to NRG ones and fitting rear spring assisters, I mounted a Towrite ball and electrics. I now use my 2.2 CRD manual shift cruiser to tow my 4 berth caravan, fully loaded, without any problems at all. Last summer five of us went in a road trip from UK to Italy, (2000 miles) with roof box and caravan, even crossing over the Swiss alps! Here's a photo of us stopping for a quick break during the Alps descent. Stayed below 60mph all the way but as I say, no problems at all!

image.jpg

2002 PT Cruiser CRD in Bright Silver.

Current Upgrades
Chrome door handle cups, chrome pillar covers, tinted windows, custom vinyl flame decals, alloy wheel decals, Enrgy bush kit, Engine cover MOD, LED Side Repeaters
17" Ace Manta Alloys, Red Brake callipers, Front grille MOD

Project list (wish list)
Rear bumper mod to DIY roll pan
Custom paint job (probably purple front end with flames running into the silver)
Air intake upgrade...
Old 05 May 2013, 05:10 pm
Young Cruiser

As a general advice, would you avoid towing a trailer, if this were an option?

I'm considering if doing the 700 miles trips twice without a trailer, to bring more things, or even just once, and then find a different way to bring up the remaining things.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the picture and the info. glad it works out for you. It sounds like a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobymelodeon View Post
Just thought I'd chip in on this one... After changing all the suspension bushes to NRG ones and fitting rear spring assisters, I mounted a Towrite ball and electrics. I now use my 2.2 CRD manual shift cruiser to tow my 4 berth caravan, fully loaded, without any problems at all. Last summer five of us went in a road trip from UK to Italy, (2000 miles) with roof box and caravan, even crossing over the Swiss alps! Here's a photo of us stopping for a quick break during the Alps descent. Stayed below 60mph all the way but as I say, no problems at all!

Attachment 8077
Old 11 Jun 2013, 11:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You should look at the owner's manual-

AND

Listen to Nitro's advice.

PT has enough power to tow ton's of weight, but the basic ability isn't the issue-
Manual transmissions don't have cooling- Some cars don't allow any towing with a manual.
1000 lbs radically alters vehicles braking ability
Insufficient tongue weight WILL cause vehicle to be unstable- And yes, people do crash because of this
Old 12 Jun 2013, 02:40 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you all for your wise words. Eventually I have decided not to tow anything. I'll stuff the car as I can, and see what fits. What doesn't will not be carried along, and I'll drive 12-13 hours like this, but without towing anything.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 04:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Sid; I think you made the right choice.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

My bro towed my PT with his Neon, the beast actually pulled his rear end around when he pulled around a corner ....
Old 13 Jun 2013, 11:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you need a little more cargo space maybe a hitch carrier would work for you. You can pick one of at Northern Tools or Harbor Freight for under $100.

You will still need trailer hitch installed.

Just thinking outside the box...............................

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi