Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Pt cruiser problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2013, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Pt cruiser problem

Hi all Im new here and am at my wits end with my wifes 01 cruiser. Little background. we bought this car used, has 150000 miles on it. replaced the battery a couple months ago cause starter was dragging. The battery had a couple dry cells as the previous owner evidently lost the caps on the battery, and had placed electrical tape over the holes....lol.... anyway. car runs great have noticed that it has a slight oil leak around the drain plug on the oil pan. ( evidently previous owner syripped out the hole and replaced it with a rubber expansion plug. ??? boy I would like to get my hands on him!!!!. anyway. Noticed that the car would lunge when going down the interstate sometimes, also noticed that if the oil was low it would do this. , key is making sure the oil is full.

Ok now my new problem which is why I joined the forum. Yesterday we went out to go somewhere and the car wouldnt turn over. I have lights, radio, power windows , all that jazz, so I know the battery is good, but when I turn the key I get nothing, no click, Nothing. left it alone and took the other car and done our running. came home, turned the key, started right up. drove it out to town,( about 30 miles round trip), done great. She got up this morning to go to work and again nothing, still got the lights and everything just nothing when I turn the key. I did manage after trying it a couple of times to get it started, it ran for about 15 seconds and died, and now I still have nothing..

My question is this, what do you think it could be. I was leaning on replacing the starter, ( I checked the wires and they are tight), but after reading some on here, I wonder if the key could be going bad. again Im not a mechanic by no means. I can do menial tasks, like change oil and replace starters, but when it comes to electrical and those type issues, I am lost. Any Suggestions would be Appreciated. thanks.
Old 06 May 2013, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Pt cruiser problem

Just went out and tried to do the engine code thing with the key ( run, acc,run,acc,run) no codes but now it starts everytime WTH? did I reset the key maybe???
Old 06 May 2013, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Pt cruiser problem

Sounds like a key recognition problem. Maybe you have gotten past it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com