PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tokico Blue for Front & Rear

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2013, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tokico Blue for Front & Rear

Listen, mine is down over 2" now and the Tokico Blues are the shocks/struts you want for lowering your PT. I've ridden in more than half a dozen lowered PT's and to this day, my PT has the best ride of all the ones I've ridden in. The combination of H&R springs and Tokico shocks/struts is, imo, perfect for the PT.

Check out the stance, she's just beautiful, and here's a couple of pictures not taken by me, but taken by Killboy.com when I was racing up and down the Tail of the Dragon. The guy actually stopped me to ask me how I'd lowered my PT and how it was running so well, as I ran with a pack of 6 Corvettes from a Tennessee Corvette Car Club.

She rides like she's on rails, not a lot of tipping on curves, tremendously reduced yaw, pitch and roll. And that is actually quite interesting, as in these photos I weighed around 330 pounds (lighter now after too many hospital stays).

This first one was taken in front of Mt. Mourne Volunteer Fire Department, just to show how nearly level she is and how good that stance looks:

Comparison photo of the front:

Prior to lowering my PT I was a member of several forums, now I'm only here. At the time I must have had 100 PT owners try to talk me into various other suspension systems. One person, quietly, suggested this setup, and I'll tell you that he has been my hero ever since. You can listen to all these others tell you all this BS about how wonderful their's are lowered, but beware of the ride! I've ridden in several that, I swear, I thought I was going to need dental work after riding with them as the ride was so harsh and overly bumpy!

Here's some before I ripped the nose off and rebuilt her - stance is still the same today, however she's got a whole new front end with a massive FMIC on the front end, customized bumper cover to make it fit:

You see the Hwy 129 sign, that's the Tail of the Dragon - connects NC across Deal's Gap to TN. Lovely drive, lots of fun, 11 miles with 318 curves!!

And here is one of my favorite photos, very recent, and she's dead sexy!

Now, I'm NOT complaining nor insulting or offending others with different lowering setups - I like the look of them when they are all the way down to the ground - just I'm too old to enjoy riding in a car that bumps like you're in an Amish Horse Carriage...lol...
InfernoGT and woahgt like this.
Old 08 May 2013, 01:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Excellent write-up! I've been looking all over and all the only H&R springs I found only lower 1.4" in front and 1.3" in rear are these what you used or is there another model that goes lower?
Old 08 May 2013, 03:51 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Tokico Blue for Front & Rear

If its too low, you are too old.
Old 08 May 2013, 04:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In Europe is commonly known that you can lower 40 mm without shorter shocks or struts. And everybody does it like that. There are three ways to lower a car:

1. Airbags for an extreem drop.
2. Coilovers for a drop from 1,5" till 4"
3. Springs for a drop till 1,5"

NOBODY uses special shocks and struts to lower with springs. There are plenty pages on the net where this is stated, but they're all in Dutch.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 08 May 2013, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
Excellent write-up! I've been looking all over and all the only H&R springs I found only lower 1.4" in front and 1.3" in rear are these what you used or is there another model that goes lower?
What I bought were H&R Super Sport Springs, and I don't see any out there for the PT anymore...hmmm.... here's the lowering quote on the Super Sports:
Quote:
H&R Super Sport Springs Lowers 1.75 - 2.3 inches on average
Mine lowered 1.8" in the front and 2" in the rear. They settle over time as they sort of 'wear in' where the old sets used to be. I measured under the chin on front right in the center, and same under the rear, so that I could get a better estimate on height. Started by measuring the tire gap and that changes when you change tires and/or wheels, so doesn't give you as good a measurement for the lowering.

Now supposedly the lowering measurement for the Sport Springs is an estimate, and on every set I've ever seen anyone install, the estimates are way off. Here's a couple of quotes on the Sport Springs:
Quote:
* H&R Sport Springs lowers 1.5 - 1.8” on average and offers superb ride quality.
* H&R Sport Springs 50800 for a 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser (incl turbo) - F: 1.4 / R: 1.3
I can tell you it will be more like 1.75" front, 1.5" rear, to start with. Both will settle down over around a one year period a bit lower. Now here's the catch, and this comes from every spring manufacturer out there:
Quote:
NOTE: Lowering Rates are approximates/ Lowering rates may vary between engine size/models/factory suspension packages.
Mine actually has settled a little lower over the past 6 months - how do I know this? There are curves, bends and bumps I've gone over for the past 6 years and over the last year or so my left rear tire rubs up on the inside of the fender well. I'll be taking a photo and posting it up here later when I do the under-carriage cleaning, but I can say that she's lower than she was. Also I over-cut the bump stops - everyone told me "if you lower your car 2", then cut 2" off of your bump stops". That's not a good suggestion. You keep 1/2" more on the bump stop than the lowering, meaning if you drop it 2", do not cut more than 1.5" off the bump stop. Because of that, my left rear tire is bottoming out in the fender well. I'm actually going to be getting a new set of bump stops to replace my cut-down ones so I don't ruin the fender well liner or the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
If its too low, you are too old.
Busa, you know I'm an olde farte! Let's see - been traveling professionally for 33 years, have lived in 7 countries, since moving back to my home country I've relocated 11 times, and I'm at a point where I'm getting tired of travel! Wife and kids want to go overseas on holidays, but me, I want to sit out on our dock and just stare at the water, smoke a ciggy or two, drink a few shots of scotch, and not move at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
NOBODY uses special shocks and struts to lower with springs. There are plenty pages on the net where this is stated, but they're all in Dutch.
Teska this may be true on the "other side of the pond" but I can tell you this - if you lower your car 2" or more, your shocks/struts will bottom out and over about a 6 month period you're going to break the top seal on the shocks, bottom seal on the struts, and see juice leaking. Then they will become totally useless. I've had conversations with at least a dozen people who lowered their cars and left their stock shocks on them, and regret doing so when the shocks blew out.

Now, if you get under your car and check out your shocks/struts and see that they are the 'black' Tokicos, as what's on the GT Verts, then Okay, I agree with you, leave them on. They will last a few years before being worn out, so you can save money on them. If they are the standard factory shocks, my suggestion to everyone is to replace them.

That all being said, I've got a set of 'black' Tokico shocks and struts off my PT GT Vert that I'm going to be cleaning up and selling. They are in excellent condition, and only had like 14k miles on them before I lowered her on blues.

Last edited by Chromenut; 08 May 2013 at 04:18 pm.
Old 08 May 2013, 08:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

hmm. well since no one seems to have the super sport springs will Tien or Eibach still give a good ride quality with the tokico blues?
Old 08 May 2013, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
hmm. well since no one seems to have the super sport springs will Tien or Eibach still give a good ride quality with the tokico blues?
H&R Still makes them, they are on their site, check out the link I had in my posting on the first page of this thread. Me, I ordered mine from Germany, because I wanted them powder coated to match my PT, Metallic Silver. Now I wish I hadn't because I'm going to have to repaint them when I repaint my PT.

They are out there, I just don't have the time to do all of the research for you, sorry.
Old 08 May 2013, 08:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I just don't have the time to do all of the research for you, sorry.
Well I appreciate all your help up to this point
Old 08 May 2013, 11:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Teska this may be true on the "other side of the pond" but I can tell you this - if you lower your car 2" or more, your shocks/struts will bottom out and over about a 6 month period you're going to break the top seal on the shocks, bottom seal on the struts, and see juice leaking. Then they will become totally useless. I've had conversations with at least a dozen people who lowered their cars and left their stock shocks on them, and regret doing so when the shocks blew out.

Now, if you get under your car and check out your shocks/struts and see that they are the 'black' Tokicos, as what's on the GT Verts, then Okay, I agree with you, leave them on. They will last a few years before being worn out, so you can save money on them. If they are the standard factory shocks, my suggestion to everyone is to replace them.

That all being said, I've got a set of 'black' Tokico shocks and struts off my PT GT Vert that I'm going to be cleaning up and selling. They are in excellent condition, and only had like 14k miles on them before I lowered her on blues.
As I said two times: when lowering till max 1,6" you can use your stock struts. With your kinda drop you do need shorter ones.

My stock shock are indeed Tokico's, black ones. But they are still OEM.

And in Europe you won't find many springs that drop lower than 1,5". People use coilovers for that. Cheaper than springs + struts and customizable in height.
Installed Mopar sub !