Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lift gate keeps opening itself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2013, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default lift gate keeps opening itself

The lift gate on my cruiser keeps opening itself, sometimes when I open the driver's door and occasionally now while I'm driving. It's a 2005 touring edition. The only thing I notice is the handle is kind of separated underneath, not sure if that's the problem or what. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!
Mary
Old 23 May 2013, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: lift gate keeps opening itself

Oh man, I am having the EXACT same issue!

I also have an '05 Touring Edition.

I can see that a plastic piece is peeling away underneath the emblem.

The dealer wants $119 just to look at it and the new assembly is almost $200 by itself. Then I would have to figure out how in install it.

I *think* I read some where about disconnecting a wire so you have to use the key to open it (which would be fine).

Any one???
Old 24 May 2013, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I decided to have my battery checked today and it was bad. Put the new one in and so far no trouble with the liftgate or the door locks.

Mary, maybe a new battery would solve your problem too.

Last edited by Luna_Llena; 24 May 2013 at 10:09 pm.
Old 24 May 2013, 10:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Is the '05 the one with the touch pad up under the oval Chrysler emblem? Something could be contaminating the pad and causing the sensor to act as though it's been touched by human fingers. I would pick a hot, dry day and attempt to clean any gunk off of it. Try wiping it with a slightly damp (not soaking) paper towel and see if there is anything coming off on the towel. Try plain water and/or rubbing alcohol. If you listen carefully while you're driving, you might hear the release event actually triggering the latch solenoid as though touched. I bought one of the latches on eBay a long time ago for about $20, never used it and later sold in on eBay for just a little less.

It's also possible that something with the latch has shifted and it's just holding the hatch by a hair, then the right kind of bump pops it loose.

Edit to add: The low battery suggestion above is something to definitely check, also.

Last edited by 2step; 24 May 2013 at 11:02 pm.
Old 27 May 2013, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have 2006 pt cruiser touring. jus did the cleaning of the squeeze part of the emblem with rubbing alcohol and a towel. and it is hot in Miami today. it did not work. the rubber part still feels like it lost all of its air.
I guess I have no choice but to take it all apart
Old 27 May 2013, 01:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

If it has a different 'feel" than normal like you say, chances are there is a little pressure switch inside that has failed. It can still be a low dollar repair IF you are handy and IF you can source a cheap, used part. A dealer should be able to give you a price quote on the phone (but sometimes they have funny ideas and want to see the car or make some other requirement). I would bet a local auto body shop would be more willing to work out something with finding a used part and beat the dealer price. They don't just always deal in total wrecks. Helping out a local owner with a little job scores them points for your business in the future. Investing in a couple of phone calls might give you more than one option.

I wish you the best of luck getting it fixed.
Old 29 May 2013, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Is the '05 the one with the touch pad up under the oval Chrysler emblem? Something could be contaminating the pad and causing the sensor to act as though it's been touched by human fingers. I would pick a hot, dry day and attempt to clean any gunk off of it. Try wiping it with a slightly damp (not soaking) paper towel and see if there is anything coming off on the towel. Try plain water and/or rubbing alcohol. If you listen carefully while you're driving, you might hear the release event actually triggering the latch solenoid as though touched. I bought one of the latches on eBay a long time ago for about $20, never used it and later sold in on eBay for just a little less.

It's also possible that something with the latch has shifted and it's just holding the hatch by a hair, then the right kind of bump pops it loose.

Edit to add: The low battery suggestion above is something to definitely check, also.
Yes, the '05 has the touch pad.

So even with the new battery I am having the problem still. I can see the the touch pad is actually peeled away from the back side of the emblem.

If I only hit my auto lock key chain thingy once (to unlock the driver's door only) it seems to be okay. It's when I hit it twice that the hatch actually pops open instead of just un-locking.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

I Had the same problem & messed with it for months. Finally I took the cover off & unplugged the wire that goes to the latch. Problem solved. Have to open it with the key but big woop, I have to with everything else anyway..It still unlocks the doors when I unlock the trunk though..
Old 17 Jun 2013, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstith View Post
I Had the same problem & messed with it for months. Finally I took the cover off & unplugged the wire that goes to the latch. Problem solved. Have to open it with the key but big woop, I have to with everything else anyway..It still unlocks the doors when I unlock the trunk though..
How hard (or not hard) was it to remove the cover? I *usually* am by myself so just unlocking just the driver's door is fine but I really do want to get this fixed.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not hard, it just pops off. Just be careful with it....