PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hood/Bonnet latch.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2013, 03:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hood/Bonnet latch.

Hi Guys.
When i have the bonnet down and latched if i put my fingers under towards the latch i can lift the hood/bonnet a little bit. this in turn is knocking at times when driving.
Is there a way to adjust the hood/bonnet latch?

Marty
Old 11 May 2013, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hood/Bonnet latch.

Did a lot of searching and can't find anyone with that problem. Usually the cable broke and they can't open it (bonnet) and there is a way to get it open. Tried to look at mine but I have all the bolts covered with chrome. Take a look at yours, both latch and hook and if there's bolts and not rivets that hold it on, there should be some play where you can move the lower latch just a fraction downwards to make the connection of the hook tighter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 May 2013, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hood/Bonnet latch.

Actually there is a way to adjust the fitment of the hood/bonnet.

There are 'bonnet tension adjusters' that are mounted towards the front of the hood on my PT. I'm not sure where on yours, but if you tell me the year and model PT that you have I can look them up in the manuals.

Here's what they look like on my PT:

And in the '00-'05 PT Crash Catalog they call them 'bumpers':

In the 2004 PT Parts Catalog, here's what it shows:

Okay, in the 2004 OEM Service Manual, it shows the "hood adjuster bumper", but oddly it doesn't give any instructions on adjusting it! Anyway, it's a piece of cake. Here's the picture and below I'll give you the instructions:

When you close your hood and it latches, lightly lift up on the hood to see if it's not closing tight. If it does shimmy/shift, then open the hood, and turn each Hood Adjuster Bumper one quarter turn counter-clockwise to raise them. After adjusting the bumpers, close the hood again and if it latches, lightly lift again and see if it still moves. If so, continue, carefully, adjusting the bumpers until the hood is tight while latched.

Simple and easy!

PS. Excuse all my pictures, when people ask questions that interest me I tend to do an insane amount of research to find an answer...lol

Last edited by Chromenut; 11 May 2013 at 01:22 pm.