Help!! I have an electrical issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2013, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help!! I have an electrical issue

Hello,
I have an issue that I'm guessing is electrical. There are times when all of my gauges drop and warning lights go on. It happen last summer. Then I had engine work done in October and didn't have a problem all winter. Then as the weather got warmer over the last couple weeks it started happening again. Sometimes it won't happen for days, then it would happen 10-20 times in 25 miles on way home from work. It's never shut down or stalled because if it.
Very strange. Anyone have ideas???

Thanks
Joe
2006 Pt cruiser convertible
Old 13 May 2013, 03:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help!! I have an electrical issue

A weak battery will cause issues like that. So will dirty and corroded battery cables. I would have the battery checked and even then if its very old replace it. Mine would struggle to turn the cat over during the winter but it checked good. It was three years old so I replaced it and the issue quit happening.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 13 May 2013, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced the battery in November. I'll check the cables tomorrow.
Old 14 May 2013, 03:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Check/clean-up the chassis grounds along the inner fender driver side just aft and outboard of the battery.
Old 14 May 2013, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Another potential is the ignition switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 May 2013, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

If it was the ignition switch, why would it only happen in nicer weather?? It didn't happen once all winter. Just curious.
Old 26 May 2013, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same issues with my 2009,I'll try the a new battery and see if that does the trick
Old 19 Jun 2015, 06:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have had the same problem along with it not wanting to start on my 06 tourer. Seen similar starting problem on a number of forums while looking for an answer and reverted back to basic mechanics to solve my problem. The clicking sound from the starter solenoid is due to the unit not getting a proper circuit. Took off the positive cable to the starter and got it really shiny with a file rather than sandpaper. Did same with all battery terminals and earths on the front wing. Gave the battery a good boost and it fired up first time. This might go some way to explaining why some of the problems have been rectified with new starters or solenoids because the contacts would have been cleaned as part of the fitting. Not sure if it has solved the warning lights and dash problem as this was very intermitant but solved similar problem with our old renault megane guages with new earth strap to engine so fingers crossed.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngbooth View Post
I have had the same problem along with it not wanting to start on my 06 tourer. Seen similar starting problem on a number of forums while looking for an answer and reverted back to basic mechanics to solve my problem. The clicking sound from the starter solenoid is due to the unit not getting a proper circuit. Took off the positive cable to the starter and got it really shiny with a file rather than sandpaper. Did same with all battery terminals and earths on the front wing. Gave the battery a good boost and it fired up first time. This might go some way to explaining why some of the problems have been rectified with new starters or solenoids because the contacts would have been cleaned as part of the fitting. Not sure if it has solved the warning lights and dash problem as this was very intermitant but solved similar problem with our old renault megane guages with new earth strap to engine so fingers crossed.
Sand paper will work also. You are write on the other connections. the battery ends are usually the one they get the others are a little harder to find or get to to clean. If you still have the other problem. You might try getting a load test on the battery to see if it is weak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com