Advertisements
Wheel bearing issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2013, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheel bearing issue

First off, I'm not sure if I have a front wheel bearing going bad. There is a humming nose that seems to be coming from the front driver side area when the steering wheel is straight or turning left. It goes away when turning right. If it is the bearing, I did some checking and the hub and bearing assembly parts aren't overly expensive. I know that if you just replace the bearing you need to remove quite a bit of stuff, and then take the hub into some place that can press it out. I would just as soon save the extra step and replace the hub. Any thoughts?
Old 13 May 2013, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel bearing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd1991 View Post
First off, I'm not sure if I have a front wheel bearing going bad. There is a humming nose that seems to be coming from the front driver side area when the steering wheel is straight or turning left. It goes away when turning right. If it is the bearing, I did some checking and the hub and bearing assembly parts aren't overly expensive. I know that if you just replace the bearing you need to remove quite a bit of stuff, and then take the hub into some place that can press it out. I would just as soon save the extra step and replace the hub. Any thoughts?
That is the only way to do it that i'm aware of. But it was easy to do far as these things go. Got my bearings on eBay.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 May 2013, 12:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

The hub generally comes out of knuckle w/o too much trouble.
The outer race is still pressed on the hub, you can 'slice' it w/ a dremel.
It'll crack with a punch tap.

Bearing will hammer out of knuckle. You can use old bearing to hammer new bearing in.

Hub should be pressed-

And, BTW, hub isn't usually replaced- It's reused.
Old 14 May 2013, 11:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd1991 View Post
You can do it either way. I have a bearing press. So for me, the decision was simple. Be double extra certain careful what brand of bearings and/or hubs you buy! Some of them are made in China and may or may not be OK. My experience with Chinese-made bearings has been mixed to bad. I won't use them. When I replaced the bearings on my 2004, I specified Timken. They were NTN bearings in a Timken box. NTN bearings are a top drawer brand and perfectly good. When you consider how much time and expense you are putting into this, saving $20 on the bearing set is, I believe, false economy.
UptownSport likes this.