PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C woes!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2013, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation A/C woes!!!

hello everyone,
I hope that someone can help, I have a 2005 pt cruiser convertible with a 2.4 turbo. (touring edition). When I try to turn on the a/c I get nothing from the compressor. I have tried the paper clip test. nothing!! no compressor, no low speed fan. When I bought the car it was cold out so I did not try the a/c. ( also forgot to ask about it, my bad!!) It started getting warm here so I tried to run the a/c, I switched it on... and nothing. I first checked the freon, whoever charged the system last overcharged the system (it was at 65 psi on the low side) . After getting some help bleeding down the system, (I got it to 45 on the low side with the compressor not running) I tried doing the paperclip test with the LPS connector. No luck there, with the a/c turned to max and the switch jumped with a paperclip the compressor still did not come on and neither did the low speed fan. So now I am at a loss, do I replace the fan assembly or the compressor first? I would love a little help with this, it is starting to get warmer here and I don't think I can just rely on driving with the top down all the time (too much rain lately!!!) Thanks in advance.

Last edited by brknn45; 15 May 2013 at 03:07 pm. Reason: misspelled
Old 15 May 2013, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C woes!!!

I personally don't believe the paper clip test is an "all answers" method. Also, not sure where you were doing your pressure measurements, but it does seem accurate. The image below is the AC pressure/temp scale, an example is, for instance, if it's 80 degrees fahrenheit then the low side pressure should be between 37-55 psi (turbo model only).

Now what I would suggest is to hook up your manifold gauges and let them site for 15 minutes with the system open. Just monitor them, if you hook up and it's reading 45 psi on the low pressure side and in 15 minutes it doesn't change, then no leaks.

Now you have a possibility of multiple issues. Could be the low pressure cycling clutch switch on top of the accumulator. Could be the desiccant bag within the Accumulator has reached it's max and the system has filled with condensation, causing the entire system to shut down. Could be that the system, when someone serviced it, got contaminate in it and the VOV is now clogged, so nothing will work (see image below on the VOV). There are just too many issues that can cause this that you have to realistically work it piece by piece by piece. Sometimes the best thing to do is to drain the system, vacuum it down over a 12 to 24 hour period (cheapo vac = 24 hours, good vac = 12), as this will possibly pull contaminates out of the system. There are just too many troubleshooting tips to tell you what would fix it. Personally, when I can't find exactly what an issue is, I go onto YouTube and watch Eric the Car Guy's videos or visit his EricTheCarGuy site. We're good friends and he's got lots of good info on troubleshooting HVAC, amongst many other things.

Old 16 May 2013, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C woes!!!

Thanks for the advice,
I am starting my work cycle, so it will be 4 days before I start doing the checks. I will also go to eric the car guys site. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.