Advertisements
Water, idle, hose.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2013, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Water, idle, hose.

Hello lads.

Got a few more questions ha.
First is that my girlfriends PT has been idling high. It was at 2500 RPM. My dad had a look and found a hose that looked quite rotten with a hole in. it was on the top of the engine and pulling a vacuum. My dad split it and joined it. As mentioned it is visible form the top of the engine. What could this rubber pipe be? He managed to fit a bit of 12Ē copper tubing in it to join it and it was held in place with tie wraps. Once it was reconnected the idle dropped to about 1200RPM. Iíll be checking the ICV and the throttle position sensor to hopefully rectify this.

Also the car seems to be loosing coolant water; whilst Iím waiting for the new coolant to come I just have topped up what was in with de-ionized water. When I bought the car it had no visible level in but the temperature stayed fine, just caught it by the sounds of things. Saying and hoping itís not the head gasket. What parts are common to leak if any?
Since filling up the water itís dropped about 8-10mm and had a 3 or 4, 40 minute (37mile) drives.
Could this loss of water be air pockets etc?

If youíve read all of this thanks for your tie and sorry for waffling on.

Marty
Old 17 May 2013, 03:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water, idle, hose.

On top of the radiator there's a chart with all the lines of the vacuum tubes which is the lines your talking about with the hole. Follow the chart and it ill tell you which exact hose you were working with.

Have you looked very carefully all around for a coolant leak? Down below the radiator cap is a plastic pipe that lead down to the thermostat. It has a tendency to leak. Look for signs of coolant. Is there any on the ground? If so try to trace where it's leaking from. If not, it may be a cracked head gasket.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2013, 04:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Water, idle, hose.

That's great information.
I'm not home from work till Tuesday. I'll have to check then.

Thank you again for your help
I feel like nothing but a past ha.

Cheers

Marty
Old 17 May 2013, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_D View Post
That's great information.
I'm not home from work till Tuesday. I'll have to check then.

Thank you again for your help
I feel like nothing but a past ha.

Cheers

Marty
Don't beat yourself up for asking for help. That's what we are all here for our selves. I needed help just recently. Saves us all a ton of money and most importantly, saves some pt's from certain death.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 May 2013, 07:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Water, idle, hose.

Awesome :-D
Old 19 May 2013, 01:18 am
Senior Cruiser

D-; if the idle is 1200 rpm after the engine warms up for a couple of minutes, it is too high. Should be 700-800 rpm. Change the pcv valve [$10], and check the hose for cracks/leaks.

2001/2002 PT's had egr valves which sometimes stick partway open, causing high idle.