Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0301 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2013, 09:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default P0301 help

Hi, this morning on my way to work, My 07' PT started to hesitate and the check engine light was flashing. I pulled p0301 with my scan tool and came back home to troubleshoot. I have switched spark plugs between 1 and 4 along with the wires, and still have a misfire. I do not know when spark plugs were last replaced, but they seem to have oil on the top. Its part of the valve gasket or something from videos I have seen on that. Anyway, what would cause a 301 code besides spark plugs? Fuel injector? Fuel pressure etc? Thanks for any help
Old 17 May 2013, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0301 help

Did the code stay at P0301 after switching plugs and wires from 1 to 4 or did it change to P0304 ??? Clear the code, take a ride and find out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2013, 09:24 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Did the code stay at P0301 after switching plugs and wires from 1 to 4 ???
Yes, even after resetting the codes it only took a minute for it to start flashing again.
Old 17 May 2013, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer92 View Post
Yes, even after resetting the codes it only took a minute for it to start flashing again.

...and I take it, it's still P0301. Check for any leaks in the upper manifold along the seams and finally, you need to do a compression check to see how cylinder 1 is doing internally.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2013, 09:31 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
...and I take it, it's still P0301. Check for any leaks in the upper manifold along the seams and finally, you need to do a compression check to see how cylinder 1 is doing internally.
How do I do a compression test? Use a compression tester and pull fuel pump relay and crank it a few times? Also, what kind of fluid should I use to check for a leaky intake gasket?
Old 17 May 2013, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The compression test is done with the top/upper manifold off and each cylinder has to be done to see how they measure up to the others. The leaky intake can be done with WD-40 or other non-flammable spray while the engine is all together and running. Look for sounds of the engine speed changing if you happen to spray upon a leak. Be sure to spray where the upper and lower intake come together.

Old 17 May 2013, 10:18 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
The compression test is done with the top/upper manifold off and each cylinder has to be done to see how they measure up to the others. The leaky intake can be done with WD-40 or other non-flammable spray while the engine is all together and running. Look for sounds of the engine speed changing if you happen to spray upon a leak. Be sure to spray where the upper and lower intake come together.

Is there a way to disable the fuel pump for a compression test or is that not required?
Old 17 May 2013, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On the 2001-2005 cruisers it's easy, but I don't know where to test on the newer cruisers.

From what you said, I don't think you have a fuel related problem (but I could be wrong). Fuel related things seem to trigger an all-over kind of fault code, not just one cylinder ...unless of course it's the fuel injector for that one particular cylinder.

Going out now to the movies to see Star Trek, back this evening.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 May 2013 at 10:26 am.
Old 17 May 2013, 12:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
On the 2001-2005 cruisers it's easy, but I don't know where to test on the newer cruisers.

From what you said, I don't think you have a fuel related problem (but I could be wrong). Fuel related things seem to trigger an all-over kind of fault code, not just one cylinder ...unless of course it's the fuel injector for that one particular cylinder.

Going out now to the movies to see Star Trek, back this evening.
Compression results were around the same for each cylinder. Everything was around 180. I just replaced spark plugs because they had carbon build up. The new plugs are champion double platinums and replaced some autolites. Still throws p0301. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake upper gasket but no change in idle. Bad fuel Injector maybe?
Old 17 May 2013, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm back, Great (Star Trek) movie.

Yes it could be an bad or clogged injector. A forced cleaning at a shop of the injection system could help, if it is indeed the problem. I'm not a mechanic and it doesn't look like anyone else is jumping into the conversation so I'm all out of ideas.