Right wheel gets bumpy at 75 mph

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gamer92

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2013, 04:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Right wheel gets bumpy at 75 mph

Hi everybody,
Today as I was driving on the highway I realized that when my PT hits 75 mph (more or less), a rapid bumpy sound generates from the front right of the car (I assume from the wheel). It sounds as if I were driving on a rumble strip, just that I'm not :-/
Today it's Saturday, and tomorrow Sunday, so it's unlikely I'll have the chance to bring it to an autorepair before Monday, and I have a 2 and half hour drive to make it back home. What could it be? Should I be concerned? The noise doesn't seem to happen if I drive within 70 mph. No other feeling to report.
Thoughts?

Thanks a lot. It's my first car and my first PT so I'm not very experienced...
Old 18 May 2013, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Right wheel gets bumpy at 75 mph

It's a busted shock. It could be dangerous if you try to go that fast. So If you are going to drive home. Keep your speed well under your symptoms. I have drove worse and further. Be especially careful when turning left and the weight shifts to that side. If it bounces slow down more. Just take your time and give yourself plenty of room.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 May 2013 at 05:23 pm.
Old 18 May 2013, 05:27 pm
Young Cruiser

What I thought and feared.
Is it going to be very expensive?
Old 18 May 2013, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharta1979 View Post
What I thought and feared.
Is it going to be very expensive?
If its indeed the front yes. Shop around You will need to do them in pares. Both sides.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 May 2013, 08:45 pm
Young Cruiser

In the order of? 1000? 2000?
What if I just go slower than 75?
Old 18 May 2013, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Not that much unless you go to the dealer. You diffidently should until you get home and can get it done. It will git worse.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 May 2013, 10:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
You can try AutoMD.com for an estimated cost.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 02:47 am
Young Cruiser

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you a quick update. On the way back home I drove slower, and didn't have problems. This leaves me a mixed feeling, as in I did experienced again the bumping at slower speeds, but in a couple of moments I didn't at higher speed. I noticed I have some plastic piece hanging down below the car, which has me wondering if, with wind and speed, it's what bumps, depending on the situation.
Also, the previous owner, a friend of mine, reported the same issue to both Chrysler and a car engineer, and they both concluded that it was not the shocker.
Since in August I have a long trip of 12-13 hours I'll have the car checked out for fluids and regular stuff, but I'm not sure if, and how I should bring this up in order not to be fooled.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to give you a quick update. On the way back home I drove slower, and didn't have problems. This leaves me a mixed feeling, as in I did experienced again the bumping at slower speeds, but in a couple of moments I didn't at higher speed. I noticed I have some plastic piece hanging down below the car, which has me wondering if, with wind and speed, it's what bumps, depending on the situation.
Also, the previous owner, a friend of mine, reported the same issue to both Chrysler and a car engineer, and they both concluded that it was not the shocker.
Since in August I have a long trip of 12-13 hours I'll have the car checked out for fluids and regular stuff, but I'm not sure if, and how I should bring this up in order not to be fooled.
If you feel a bump then you may hay a shock or other suspension problem. As we assumed. But if you heard a bump then ge that peace re connected or removed. Take it out on the highway and run the speed you first had the problem.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jun 2013, 03:46 am
Senior Cruiser

sid; check tire pressure first. Then bring to a garage to have the tie rods and other suspension parts checked to be safe. Then have both front tires balanced. Bad shocks/struts will increase the vibration.