no start/crank issue

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By roaoro
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2013, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default no start/crank issue

Just had the PT towed home.... The wife was heading to work, and the car died in the Starbucks drive through. I brought my obd2 scan tool, and multi-meter with me hoping I might be able to figure out what's wrong. No luck. The engine will not crank, or even try to crank. I have adequate voltage at the battery, dash lights come on as usual but no crank. I'm not completely familiar with the dash light (warning lights) sequence, but I did notice that with the key on for about half a minute, CEL would come on. But when I hooked up my OBD2 reader, it would not turn on (reader) for some reason. My reader works fine when i tested on my truck. I'm not sure where to start.

04 PT Turbo autostick
Old 20 May 2013, 03:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: no start/crank issue

Try to get any fault codes you can using this link then come back and tell us what you saw.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 May 2013, 08:27 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaoro View Post
Just had the PT towed home.... The wife was heading to work, and the car died in the Starbucks drive through. I brought my obd2 scan tool, and multi-meter with me hoping I might be able to figure out what's wrong. No luck. The engine will not crank, or even try to crank. I have adequate voltage at the battery, dash lights come on as usual but no crank. I'm not completely familiar with the dash light (warning lights) sequence, but I did notice that with the key on for about half a minute, CEL would come on. But when I hooked up my OBD2 reader, it would not turn on (reader) for some reason. My reader works fine when i tested on my truck. I'm not sure where to start.

04 PT Turbo autostick
I had a problem like this once. It was a loose ground on the starter. I would check all battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 20 May 2013, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Try to get any fault codes you can using this link then come back and tell us what you saw.

How to retrieve fault codes.
I've tried this numerous times, and it doesn't seem to even try to go into diagnostic mode. I still get the one beep/airbag light, then 2 beeps/engine light, after about 20 or 30 seconds with the key on. Does this sequence mean anything? I'm starting to think the issue is either a communication problem with the computer, or something with the built in security system.
Old 20 May 2013, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer92 View Post
I had a problem like this once. It was a loose ground on the starter. I would check all battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight.
Thanks,
I am trying to check all connections. Not too easy to get around under these hoods... I am also trying to avoid pulling the battery, I don't want to lose any stored codes. I think my next step will be to try to test the starter.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: no start/crank issue SOLVED

As most suspected, it was a ground issue...and to further complicate things, I managed to (unknowingly) blow a fuse while I was testing the starter and didn't know it. I couldn't figure out why my data port wasn't working, so i traced it back which eventually led me to the blown fuse. The frustrating part, was that I had already checked the fuses twice the first day, so i assumed they were still fine... Thanks to all the info on this site, I was able to avoid a spendy trip to the shop! Thanks!
Dino likes this.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's what we're mostly here for. Help and friendly conversations on mods and things that pertain to ownership of the PT. Glad you were able to find the fault.
Dino likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.