PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
intermittent check engine light showing no code and limp in mode

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2013, 02:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default intermittent check engine light showing no code and limp in mode

Background info on the car... it has possibly aftermarket remote and a subwoofer was added early in its life and just needed its battery replaced. It was jump started a few times which I believe caused the iod fuse to go weird and made all intstrument cluster, alarm and locks to stop working. Oil was changed at 33k miles and then again at 60k miles where the tech said I needed a radiator flush... nothing was wrong at the time. The issues came up afterwards.

It has since been one month and 1,000 miles since the oil change and now a check engine light comes and goes. I have gone in to pep boys while the engine is still running and showing the check engine light but checking underneath the steering wheel reveals no code. I know that I will be getting the check engine light when the car takes a few seconds to crank over and then it will start up and reveal a check engine light. Other times it will start up immediately and sometimes still show the light (25% of the time) or start up normally and shift through every gear without a problem going up to 80mph and higher rev points. When I do have the check engine light, it will act as if I hit the rev limiter at 2250 rpm and won't let me shift or accelerate. I drive slowly and am able to reach 4th gear at a maximum speed of 62 mph which is limited by the 2250 rpm "redline".

What do you think is the issue?

Last edited by funkyfred; 21 May 2013 at 03:02 pm. Reason: typo
Old 21 May 2013, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: intermittent check engine light showing no code and limp in mode

almost sounds liek you r n limp mode dosent pep boys have a scanner you can use to check codes and cler the ones stored in the memory???
Old 21 May 2013, 05:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

You went 27k without changing oil?

It sounds like the cam or crank sensor, but it should have a code. Both cheap repairs though.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 21 May 2013, 07:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
You went 27k without changing oil?

It sounds like the cam or crank sensor, but it should have a code. Both cheap repairs though.
I have gone there 3 times and don't want to be a d*** and go AGAIN to pep boys saying there must be a code found. They checked 3 times... and all 3 times came up with nothing. Yes the car is obviously in limp-in / limp-home mode but the reason is .... WHY?!?!?!

yes 27k miles without an oil change. I thought it was going to be the spark plugs because of dirty crap going through it that got loosened up with the new oil.

I will be disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes - 1 hour and re-connecting it and will be going on a 60 mile total round trip soon. Lets see if the error comes up again.
Old 25 May 2013, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine acted the same way and it was the Catalitic converter and sensors.
I had them replaced and have had no problems and the car now runs even better.
Old 26 May 2013, 02:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Like Dino said, I'd go with a cam sensor and magnet first. [Mopar brand]
Old 26 May 2013, 09:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

if you only change the oil every 30k miles you'll probably be better off with the 2000 rpm redline anyways.

why on earth would you do that? are you too cheap, or too lazy?
Old 26 May 2013, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

why on earth would you do that? are you too cheap, or too lazy?
Fred, before you jump all over Rob for being "direct' with his questioning, he asked what a lot of others on the forum where only thinking. Why? Anyone owning any vehicle knows that proper maintenance keeps the car going and the oil is the life blood of an engine. Letting it go that long is only asking for trouble.

To your "no fault codes". Yea, you should have something stored in the computer if the engine light came on but we've seen it lots of times with the key trick and a scanner that nothing shows up. Can't say why. Surely something that would make the car go into limp mode would be important enough to store a code. Personally, I wouldn't put my faith in Pep Boys and when/if the light comes on again, I'd try having it read again. Many of the bigger auto stores will do it for free. Can't hurt to have a second check with someone else's code reader.

I had problems with the ABS on my Corvette. Took it to a place and they couldn't get their reader to talk to my car. Awhile later took it to my personal mechanic and he had no problems diagnosing the fault with his reader.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 May 2013 at 10:18 am.
Old 26 May 2013, 10:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Definitely a cam sensor. If the engine won't rev past ~2300 rpm its the cam sensor. If it won't rev past ~4k its the crank sensor. I've replaced the cam sensor in my Neon 3 times now. They last for about 20k miles then kaput (The autozone/Napa/Advance Auto ones that is). Fortunately they are only $25 and can be replaced easily. What happens is that the seal goes bad and oil slowly leaks out and gets into the sensor/connections which can be intermittent until the sensor is totally saturated.
Old 26 May 2013, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
Definitely a cam sensor. If the engine won't rev past ~2300 rpm its the cam sensor. If it won't rev past ~4k its the crank sensor. I've replaced the cam sensor in my Neon 3 times now. They last for about 20k miles then kaput (The autozone/Napa/Advance Auto ones that is). Fortunately they are only $25 and can be replaced easily. What happens is that the seal goes bad and oil slowly leaks out and gets into the sensor/connections which can be intermittent until the sensor is totally saturated.
Surely you've read enough on these forums to know that ANY sensor being replaced should be with a genuine MOPAR part. A little more expensive but 99% of the time, once replaced you'll never do it again. Goes for Neon's too. Nowadays, we're telling everyone to replace the cam magnet too for a couple more dollars.. They do go bad

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.