Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ground Cable Connection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2013, 11:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Ground Cable Connection

Hello. I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. I had a problem with my PT the other day. I was going up a hill, in the middle of rush hour traffic, when the car went completely dead. The engine stopped, and there was no electric power of any kind. Got it to the side of the road. When the tow truck came, he tried to jump it, but it would barely turn over. So I got it home and checked out the battery. The bracket that attached to the negative post on the battery had broken. I found that there was no hold down bracket for the battery. I have no idea how long that has been missing. So it must have moved enough that the connection bracket fatigued and broke. Strange, huh? Of course, it broke at a bad time. Well, I ordered a new negative ground cable, which arrived soon enough. My question is what is the best way to attach it to the engine. There are two sections of cable. The short one is attached to the body of the car, and that one bolts on easily enough. The other end of the original cable is wedged in between the transmission and the engine. So, there is no ready made spot to bolt the end of my replacement cable to the engine. Would you strip a section of the original, and splice the new cable to that. Or find another place to bolt it to on the engine? If so, where? Thanks.

2002 Limited Edition, 5 speed
Old 22 May 2013, 06:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Ground Cable Connection

On my 08 PT, the heavy battery negative ground cable is grounded to the engine with the starter motor upper attach bolt (bolt that goes through the transmision dipstick tube bracket, the transmission bellhousing, and into the starter motor). The repair manual shows this also. So, take a closer look at your connection...you may have to clean away some dirt...it is probably the same thing as just described unless at some point in the past somebody had removed the cable and reattached it improperly. In any case, don't cobble up (cut and splice) the new cable...do it right.
Old 22 May 2013, 07:23 am
Young Cruiser

Actually, I can see it well enough, and it is as I describe. It looks factory, or at least like it's been that way a long time. I've had this car since it was a year old, and the transmission has never been out that I know of. There is a connector at the end of that cable that is flattened with a hole in it. The kind designed to fit onto a bolt. It's turned sideways, and stuck between the engine and trans. There is enough of the connector hole showing that I thought I might be able to put a small bolt through it. I think that your suggestion of the starter motor bolt might work better. Thanks.

Last edited by PianoTunerCruiser; 22 May 2013 at 07:27 am.
Old 22 May 2013, 11:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmmm...from your description, it sounds like the terminal crimped on the end of the original cable is wedged between the engine and transmission. If that's the case, it is not a proper connection. Go with the upper starter motor bolt as previously described. Good luck.
Old 01 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Just to get back to you. I used the top starter motor bolt, as suggested. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Old 01 Jun 2013, 01:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay, good job! The starter motor is one of, if not the heaviest loads on the electrical system so you definitely want to ground the battery there to best handle that load.