Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2013, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser Problems

I had an accident after driving away from the tire store. I spun out of control and one tire went flying down the highway. Since then my fan won't turn and my cruise control goes on and off by itself. Do you think this was problem was caused by the accident? I can't determine if it's a fuse or short problem with the radiator.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser Problems

Did you have the problems before the tire went flying off? If not, it's almost a certainty that you did some damage when the car slammed down onto the road because of the missing tire.

If you just left the tire store, they should be responsible for ANY damage caused by the wheel coming off. Don't touch anything till you talk to the manager of the store. The accident WAS caused by the tire coming loose, right? Tires just don't come off because of the accident (crash) or you wouldn't be coming here taking about some minor damage. The studs were probably put on hand tight and the grease monkey forgot to tighten them down.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 May 2013 at 07:58 pm.
Old 25 May 2013, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply. Yes the store has taken some responsibility. Since I wrote the last post yesterday, the car is now over heating. The fan is working. Could this be a relay problem, a fuse problem?
Old 25 May 2013, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, it's probably a smashed part of the radiator causing a blockage.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 May 2013, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

I Did Not Run Into Anything Just Spun Around And Wound Up On The Other Side Of The Road. Could The Radiator Have Come Lose? I Am About 20 Miles Out Of Town, Would It Be Safe To Take Extra Water And Drive To A Mechanic. It CostToo Much To Tow it.
Old 29 May 2013, 09:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
I Did Not Run Into Anything Just Spun Around And Wound Up On The Other Side Of The Road. Could The Radiator Have Come Lose? I Am About 20 Miles Out Of Town, Would It Be Safe To Take Extra Water And Drive To A Mechanic. It CostToo Much To Tow it.
if you fill the coolant and it is staying full and not pouring out, driving to the mechanic will be your best bet. just pull over and let it cool before it gets to the red.

if the front tire came off it could have jarred something, punctured a hose, or smashed the plastic tank on the radiator. tyou most likely cracked the bottom radiator tank, punctured the lower hose, or smashed the transmission pan or trans line. if the trans is getting too hot, so will the engine. if it was the back tire, i don't know why anything would be damaged.

the radiator could not get knocked loose on this car, it could however get smashed or crack.

did anything leak out after your mishap?

Last edited by rob342; 29 May 2013 at 09:43 am.
Old 29 May 2013, 09:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

If the car was running OKand no over heating problems when you went to the " Tire Store " then all the damage was cauesed from the tire coming off . I would let the store manager know what all is happening. When the front end dropped any number of problems could happen .
Old 30 May 2013, 12:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes the store has taken some responsibility. Since I wrote the last post yesterday, the car is now over heating. The fan is working. Could this be a relay problem, a fuse problem?
Question......Do you have aluminum rims?

If so.its 100% the stores fault. Not "some".

Aluminum rims MUST be torqued directly to the spec of the rim, cant put em on with a impact wrench, it then must be driven 10 miles or so, then re-torqued. If they did not torque them by hand, that could easily cause your wheel to come off. If so......Make the store pay for every cent.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You have no idea what It's like dealing with a large corporation that has many lawyers. They deny, deny, and deny. I have to push for everything. They wanted to offer a set of tires without doing anything to fix the mechanical problem, they thought they were being generous by offering the only the tires. They kept wanting me to drive as is that the car was safe to drive.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

sorry for the confused writing. I get so angry about the tire stores negligence that I just type crazy. What happened at the store was, the manager was working on the tire, he walked off to do something else, another person took over finishing up my car. I think the chain of custody and with no communication, this second person did not torque the tire down. Anyway thanks to all for your help. I am going to check out some of the things you suggested. I am disabled and have a friend that will check this out for me.