PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt question

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By compdr59

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2013, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Question Timing Belt question

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Touring Edition. I'm about to have the control arms replaced ( bushings are shot). Anyway, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to get the timing belt and water pump done as well.

I am only at 78k miles, but the car is now ten years old. I have read through a lot of threads and people mainly talk about the miles in regards to the timing belt, not the age of the car. The owner's manual says 102k or 102 months for the timing belt. I am past the 102 months but not yet near 102k miles. My feeling is that I should have the timing belt job done. Am I worrying for nothing or is it a good time to do it?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2013, 04:41 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmo View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Touring Edition. I'm about to have the control arms replaced ( bushings are shot). Anyway, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to get the timing belt and water pump done as well.

I am only at 78k miles, but the car is now ten years old. I have read through a lot of threads and people mainly talk about the miles in regards to the timing belt, not the age of the car. The owner's manual says 102k or 102 months for the timing belt. I am past the 102 months but not yet near 102k miles. My feeling is that I should have the timing belt job done. Am I worrying for nothing or is it a good time to do it?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
Well. Really depends on the condition of the belt. You can always pull the top cover off and check :-D. Mine is at 123k on the original belt. However my belt is still in pretty crisp condition. Really varies from car to car.

However I would not recommend pushing it as far as I've pushed mine, I'm just insane :-D

The way ya gotta look at it is 100k is a great time to change it. So you can either change it now, and know its good, or change in in a year and know its good then, or on the latter hand have it break and have to change it when you least expect it.

All personal preference of which road you want to drive :-D
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2013, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Hmm thanks, good advice. What do I look for to check the condition of the belt? Is it like any other belt where you look for cracks and fraying, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2013, 08:00 pm
compdr59's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 543
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Your car is 10 years old. Change it now and you won't have any fears for the rest of your baby's life.
pluminator likes this.
__________________

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 May 2013, 07:15 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Better to plan to do it and save the tow bill money towards the job. You can shop for price if you catch it before you break it. Do you do your own work or have someone else do it? Buy your own parts on line and save a ton over the local parts stores and shop markup.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 31 May 2013, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Better to plan to do it and save the tow bill money towards the job. You can shop for price if you catch it before you break it. Do you do your own work or have someone else do it? Buy your own parts on line and save a ton over the local parts stores and shop markup.
I would have to have someone else do it. I can only do more routine or simple types of car maintenance/repair. That's way out of my league. Tow money would not really be an issue since my motor club membership would cover it.

The car spent the first few years driven relatively few miles but is driven regularly now. I was mostly concerned about the age of the belt since the mileage is still somewhat low.

I think I do have some time to shop for price so I will take your advice on that.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31 May 2013, 03:04 pm
cruserdad1976's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: st james mo
Posts: 8,217
Default Re: Timing Belt question

id shop around you might be able to find it in the $700 range which is high but some have paid lots More

I wouldn rush but id most likely get it done in the next few moths 10 years of hot and cold will ware on a belt
The water pump and tensioner need changed then as well and since they are already that far into the motor they usally are much more to change them as well

some shops will let you bring your own parts some wont so check around
parts from rock auto are under $250 some ahve got them for like $125 with discounts
it would also be a great time to flush the radiator and put on new hoses and a new T stat

keep it well maintaned and it will take care of you
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 31 May 2013, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Timing Belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmo View Post
I would have to have someone else do it. I can only do more routine or simple types of car maintenance/repair. That's way out of my league. Tow money would not really be an issue since my motor club membership would cover it.

The car spent the first few years driven relatively few miles but is driven regularly now. I was mostly concerned about the age of the belt since the mileage is still somewhat low.

I think I do have some time to shop for price so I will take your advice on that.
If you can find a Good mechanic that will do it in the $700-$850 range. Do it now.

Much cheaper than having it break on the Highway on ramp at 4k RPM and imploding your engine contrary to popular belief, non-interference engines will go POP if the belt breaks at a high enough RPM :-D
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another timing belt question mekkanic Tech & Performance Forum 12 21 Jun 2012 07:01 am
Timing Belt Question johnjsa Tech & Performance Forum 10 11 Jan 2012 11:00 am
Timing belt question maddyfan171 General PT Cruiser Discussions 9 19 Aug 2011 11:03 pm
Another Timing Belt Question...(sorry!) sscanlan Tech & Performance Forum 10 17 Nov 2010 11:04 pm
Another possible timing belt question PTBlue_2002 Tech & Performance Forum 2 16 Jun 2009 06:51 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors