Timing Belt question

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By compdr59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2013, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Timing Belt question

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Touring Edition. I'm about to have the control arms replaced ( bushings are shot). Anyway, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to get the timing belt and water pump done as well.

I am only at 78k miles, but the car is now ten years old. I have read through a lot of threads and people mainly talk about the miles in regards to the timing belt, not the age of the car. The owner's manual says 102k or 102 months for the timing belt. I am past the 102 months but not yet near 102k miles. My feeling is that I should have the timing belt job done. Am I worrying for nothing or is it a good time to do it?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 30 May 2013, 04:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmo View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Touring Edition. I'm about to have the control arms replaced ( bushings are shot). Anyway, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to get the timing belt and water pump done as well.

I am only at 78k miles, but the car is now ten years old. I have read through a lot of threads and people mainly talk about the miles in regards to the timing belt, not the age of the car. The owner's manual says 102k or 102 months for the timing belt. I am past the 102 months but not yet near 102k miles. My feeling is that I should have the timing belt job done. Am I worrying for nothing or is it a good time to do it?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
Well. Really depends on the condition of the belt. You can always pull the top cover off and check :-D. Mine is at 123k on the original belt. However my belt is still in pretty crisp condition. Really varies from car to car.

However I would not recommend pushing it as far as I've pushed mine, I'm just insane :-D

The way ya gotta look at it is 100k is a great time to change it. So you can either change it now, and know its good, or change in in a year and know its good then, or on the latter hand have it break and have to change it when you least expect it.

All personal preference of which road you want to drive :-D
Old 30 May 2013, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm thanks, good advice. What do I look for to check the condition of the belt? Is it like any other belt where you look for cracks and fraying, etc?
Old 30 May 2013, 08:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your car is 10 years old. Change it now and you won't have any fears for the rest of your baby's life.
pluminator likes this.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Better to plan to do it and save the tow bill money towards the job. You can shop for price if you catch it before you break it. Do you do your own work or have someone else do it? Buy your own parts on line and save a ton over the local parts stores and shop markup.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2013, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Better to plan to do it and save the tow bill money towards the job. You can shop for price if you catch it before you break it. Do you do your own work or have someone else do it? Buy your own parts on line and save a ton over the local parts stores and shop markup.
I would have to have someone else do it. I can only do more routine or simple types of car maintenance/repair. That's way out of my league. Tow money would not really be an issue since my motor club membership would cover it.

The car spent the first few years driven relatively few miles but is driven regularly now. I was mostly concerned about the age of the belt since the mileage is still somewhat low.

I think I do have some time to shop for price so I will take your advice on that.
Old 31 May 2013, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

id shop around you might be able to find it in the $700 range which is high but some have paid lots More

I wouldn rush but id most likely get it done in the next few moths 10 years of hot and cold will ware on a belt
The water pump and tensioner need changed then as well and since they are already that far into the motor they usally are much more to change them as well

some shops will let you bring your own parts some wont so check around
parts from rock auto are under $250 some ahve got them for like $125 with discounts
it would also be a great time to flush the radiator and put on new hoses and a new T stat

keep it well maintaned and it will take care of you
Old 31 May 2013, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmo View Post
I would have to have someone else do it. I can only do more routine or simple types of car maintenance/repair. That's way out of my league. Tow money would not really be an issue since my motor club membership would cover it.

The car spent the first few years driven relatively few miles but is driven regularly now. I was mostly concerned about the age of the belt since the mileage is still somewhat low.

I think I do have some time to shop for price so I will take your advice on that.
If you can find a Good mechanic that will do it in the $700-$850 range. Do it now.

Much cheaper than having it break on the Highway on ramp at 4k RPM and imploding your engine contrary to popular belief, non-interference engines will go POP if the belt breaks at a high enough RPM :-D