PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help me - Electrical problem!!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2013, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Help me - Electrical problem!!!

Been away for a while, back up in Richmond, VA, getting ready to start working for AT&T Wireless next week. Have a problem I wanted to post about my PT>

Okay, so this is an oddball question for you. I'll explain it in a sec, but here's the problem - you know how, when you turn off your key, you can program your PT to have the interior electrical system on for up to 10 minutes? So, you can shut off the engine and pull the keys, listen to your stereo, then when you open your door the stereo, and everything else, shuts down. NOT MINE! Now everything is staying on and draining the battery in less than 6 hours!

So here's the story - I had to replace the AC Suction hose that runs from the compressor to the Accumulator liquid & suction connection. Well, let me tell you, it's one of the most difficult replacements I've done in a while. I rate this up there near to replacing the timing belt, only because of the amount of labor involved.

So, to replace that hose, you have to take off the upper and lower intake manifolds, the plastic radiator hose connections (over the thermostat and the connection to the radiator along with the hose), the fan, then when you get all that out, you can start trying to get the stupid hose removed. It's a total PITA!!!

So, took out the battery just to make room, then over a three day period I pulled all the necessary parts, plus took out the inner front passenger side fender well liner so that I could replace the belt too. What happened was the suction hose blew just above the power steering pump, and the A/C oil dripped onto the power steering belt causing horrible squealing. Since I was broke, it took about 5 months for me to save up enough to buy all the needed parts and get the job done.

So, replaced the hose, found lots of other issues so cleaned up everything, put it all back together and the engine runs better than it has for over three years now. Found all kinds of issues, it was like peeling an onion, as I took apart everything, found issues needing repairs.

So, repaired it all. Finally, on Monday, I put the battery back in, started her up, and boy does she run smoothly! Calm, quiet and add to it, MY MPG HAS GONE UP TO AN AVERAGE OF 23.7MPG!!!!!

Whew!

Now heres the thing . . . I drove up to Midlothian, VA, where I'm renting a house to work for AT&T, and when I got here I noticed that when I opened the car door, after shutting off the engine, the stereo would not shut down. So I just powered it down and didn't think about it. Next morning, got up and the battery was so dead that it wouldn't even turn over the engine.

Now I've gone over everything, and I didn't touch hardly anything electrical when working on the engine. The only thing was unplugging a few items to remove all the "stuff", and the battery. So here's my thought - it can only be one of two things: either the ignition switch or the TIPM.

What is your thoughts on this??? It's an '06 PT GT vert, does anyone have issues like this or has anyone experienced this kind of issue, where you can't power down the entire car? Is there maybe some relay inline that I need to check? I thought I was good at maintaining my car, as I do all of them, but boy this one has me totally lost and it's bugging the h*ll out of me!

I'm having to pull the IOD fuse everytime I shut down so that I can plug it back in and restart my baby. Otherwise the battery gets sucked down immediately. Sucks!!!! I just can't figure out what could have happened, my battery was out for 4 days, so now power and now this is freaking me out. Did something get frogged in programming? I'm totally lost. Really getting me upset. I don't mind all the maintenance work, and all the labor involved in what I've done, but this is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, when I stop, I yank the fuse #18, 40 amp IOD, then when I go to start it again I have to put the fuse back in. At least it's keeping my battery from getting killed.
Old 31 May 2013, 12:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help me - Electrical problem!!!

Chromenut,
With your 2006 PT problem I have no knowledge with which to help.

For anyone with recurring battery power down needs, this idea is likely easier than pulling a PDC fuse, I have a battery disconnect switch that is easily reached by lifting (without removing) the airbox cover.

randyincctx likes this.
Old 31 May 2013, 01:43 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Help me - Electrical problem!!!

I never figured out my issue.

I pull the battery cables on mine when I am done driving.

It has some sort of draw on it
Old 31 May 2013, 02:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Been away for a while, back up in Richmond, VA, getting ready to start working for AT&T Wireless next week. Have a problem I wanted to post about my PT>

Okay, so this is an oddball question for you. I'll explain it in a sec, but here's the problem - you know how, when you turn off your key, you can program your PT to have the interior electrical system on for up to 10 minutes? So, you can shut off the engine and pull the keys, listen to your stereo, then when you open your door the stereo, and everything else, shuts down. NOT MINE! Now everything is staying on and draining the battery in less than 6 hours!

So here's the story - I had to replace the AC Suction hose that runs from the compressor to the Accumulator liquid & suction connection. Well, let me tell you, it's one of the most difficult replacements I've done in a while. I rate this up there near to replacing the timing belt, only because of the amount of labor involved.

So, to replace that hose, you have to take off the upper and lower intake manifolds, the plastic radiator hose connections (over the thermostat and the connection to the radiator along with the hose), the fan, then when you get all that out, you can start trying to get the stupid hose removed. It's a total PITA!!!

So, took out the battery just to make room, then over a three day period I pulled all the necessary parts, plus took out the inner front passenger side fender well liner so that I could replace the belt too. What happened was the suction hose blew just above the power steering pump, and the A/C oil dripped onto the power steering belt causing horrible squealing. Since I was broke, it took about 5 months for me to save up enough to buy all the needed parts and get the job done.

So, replaced the hose, found lots of other issues so cleaned up everything, put it all back together and the engine runs better than it has for over three years now. Found all kinds of issues, it was like peeling an onion, as I took apart everything, found issues needing repairs.

So, repaired it all. Finally, on Monday, I put the battery back in, started her up, and boy does she run smoothly! Calm, quiet and add to it, MY MPG HAS GONE UP TO AN AVERAGE OF 23.7MPG!!!!!

Whew!

Now heres the thing . . . I drove up to Midlothian, VA, where I'm renting a house to work for AT&T, and when I got here I noticed that when I opened the car door, after shutting off the engine, the stereo would not shut down. So I just powered it down and didn't think about it. Next morning, got up and the battery was so dead that it wouldn't even turn over the engine.

Now I've gone over everything, and I didn't touch hardly anything electrical when working on the engine. The only thing was unplugging a few items to remove all the "stuff", and the battery. So here's my thought - it can only be one of two things: either the ignition switch or the TIPM.

What is your thoughts on this??? It's an '06 PT GT vert, does anyone have issues like this or has anyone experienced this kind of issue, where you can't power down the entire car? Is there maybe some relay inline that I need to check? I thought I was good at maintaining my car, as I do all of them, but boy this one has me totally lost and it's bugging the h*ll out of me!

I'm having to pull the IOD fuse everytime I shut down so that I can plug it back in and restart my baby. Otherwise the battery gets sucked down immediately. Sucks!!!! I just can't figure out what could have happened, my battery was out for 4 days, so now power and now this is freaking me out. Did something get frogged in programming? I'm totally lost. Really getting me upset. I don't mind all the maintenance work, and all the labor involved in what I've done, but this is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, when I stop, I yank the fuse #18, 40 amp IOD, then when I go to start it again I have to put the fuse back in. At least it's keeping my battery from getting killed.
is this only on 2006 onwards? or only USA spec? Sounds like a damn good idea to me - does it let you open / c;ose the windows as well?
Old 31 May 2013, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Chromenut,
With your 2006 PT problem I have no knowledge with which to help.

For anyone with recurring battery power down needs, this idea is likely easier than pulling a PDC fuse, I have a battery disconnect switch that is easily reached by lifting (without removing) the airbox cover.
First, Sanatanadharma that is a totally b*tchin idea! I'm going to get me one of those!

Second, to all of you, since I didn't know which fuse was the IOD, I just pulled all four 40 amp fuses plus the 50 amp. Still had electricity, like could lock and unlock the doors, etc., but couldn't start the engine. The draw disappeared! So here I am today, put the fuses back in place to drive to the store and get some gas, and voila! The computer reset! Now it's not drawing down the battery and now the radio shuts off when I open the doors!

Now WTH was that all about??? Anyway, go figure, pull the fuses and the puter resets. Now I have to reprogram the car and will have to connect up the laptop and do some pulls, adjust the 93 tune to customize like I used to have it, higher voltage off the alternator, etc. Anyway, at least it's working, and now I want to get one of Sanatanadharma's connector thingys!!
Old 31 May 2013, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I never figured out my issue.

I pull the battery cables on mine when I am done driving.

It has some sort of draw on it
So did you see the post that some Young Gun posted here a couple weeks ago? He had a troubleshooting video on how to trace the draw and OMG it was an excellent idea and incredibly simple!

Anyway, it's on here somewhere and I'm using it to trace back one small draw now....
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, well, here's the good news - the battery is fine! Been having to charge it up every three days or so.

Bad news - friggin alternator is not putting out one volt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF???!!!??? Since it's been raining here, and I have to go Saturday to Williamsburg for Cars & Coffee, not sure if I can get it fixed. Add to it, my new job has me working 6 days a week and I'm exhausted, so no time to troubleshoot this insane problem....sigh.... making me ill....
Old 14 Jun 2013, 04:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Chrome; the alternator has a large wire on it. It is always hot [12v]. The other 2 wires control the output of the alternator, aka regulator. The regulator is built into the PCM and controlled by many things [battery charge level, temperature, ignition switch, etc.] This is not your fathers oldsmobile!
Chromenut likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Chrome; the alternator has a large wire on it. It is always hot [12v]. The other 2 wires control the output of the alternator, aka regulator. The regulator is built into the PCM and controlled by many things [battery charge level, temperature, ignition switch, etc.] This is not your fathers oldsmobile!
Excellent info! Now I know what to research.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't get it guys - really getting me PO'd. Battery is not getting charged up, but it's good, meaning when I pull it and charge it it's fine. Loaded, it's fine. However, the car is draining it. Now it's not just an unknown drain - no, it's the $%#@$$%^ alternator (generator as they call it in the manual).

So, go to Advance Auto, have them do a battery load test, battery tests fine, just low on voltage. Well that's normal, I hadn't charged it for three days. So we did a load test on the alternator - ^%^^%##%^& no voltage! Literally, nothing coming off the alternator.

So, today I've got to troubleshoot the issues and try to get it fixed, just not helping me with my battery getting sucked down every week! And idiot me, I read the OEM Service Manual on this section and followed the instructions! Should have ignored it all! Should have connected up my OBD reader right away!

Jacked her up, took off the right front tire/wheel, found immediately that the Accessory Driver Splash Shield (ADSS? I call it the inner fender liner, go figure) was damaged. I had been hearing, for two weeks a strange sound, louder when backing up, but only between like 1 and 5 mph. Sounded like a playing card clipped on the forks of a bicycle, flopping against the spokes.

Dayum! The rear end had a plastic snap on thingy holding it in place, it was cut off. The front bolt holding the cover in place was popped out (hole widened and bolt slipped through), and the last bolt hole was snapped open too. So the liner was jammed up against the compressor pulley and melted down, and the back end was dragging on the ground.

Here's the damage:

So, after reading the instructions, posted below, I couldn't find any other problems. None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 PT Cruiser OEM Service Manual
ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM

INSPECTION
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors critical input and output circuits of the charging system, making sure they are operational. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is assigned to each input and output circuit monitored by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system. Some charging system circuits are checked continuously, and some are checked only under certain conditions.

Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Codes in Powertrain Diagnostic manual for more DTC information. This will include a complete list of DTC’s including DTC’s for the charging system.

To perform a complete test of the charging system, refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures service manual and the scan tool. Perform the following inspections before attaching the scan tool.

1. Inspect the battery condition. Refer to the Battery section (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/BATTERY SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING) for procedures.
2. Inspect condition of battery cable terminals, battery posts, connections at engine block, starter solenoid and relay. They should be clean and tight. Repair as required.
3. Inspect all fuses in the fuseblock for tightness in receptacles. They should be properly installed and tight. Repair or replace as required.
4. Inspect generator mounting bolts for tightness. Replace or tighten bolts if required. Refer to the Generator Removal/Installation section of this group for torque specifications (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/CHARGING SPECIFICATIONS).
5. Inspect generator drive belt condition and tension. Tighten or replace belt as required. Refer to Belt Tension Specifications (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE - SPECIFICATIONS).
6. Inspect decoupler pulley (if equipped). Ensure decoupler pulley is driving the alternator rotor.
7. Inspect automatic belt tensioner (if equipped). Refer to the Cooling System for more information.
8. Inspect generator electrical connections at generator field, battery output, and ground terminal (if equipped). Also check generator ground wire connection at engine (if equipped). They should all be clean and tight. Repair as required.
After all this work I finally hooked up the OBD reader, and VOILA, there it is, putting out 14.25 volts just as I have it programmed. Now WTH? So, I'm leaving the splash guard off for now, even though it's going to rain today, as I'm going to do a drive for an hour or so with my OBD reader and laptop hooked up so I can record to see if the alternator is shutting off at times.

Go figure....