Advertisements
Head Gasket Issue?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2013, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Head Gasket Issue?

Just had my 2005 in garage for state inspection and mechanic said the head gaskets tend to go bad in ptc's as well as neon's. He said an oil hole in the head gasket is too close to the edge of the head gasket which causes an oil leak which drips oil on to the exhaust mainfold.

Anyone here of this?
Old 31 May 2013, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Head Gasket Issue?

Something in the past I think. Ask UptownSport he is familiar with this area.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2013, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well anything is possable but lots of guys on here went a really long ways and the only head issues or head gaskets are when the fan quits and the motor gettts hot and the head getts warped
these little dogs are pretty tough
Old 31 May 2013, 04:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Most mechanics will tell you a rear oil leak is the head gasket.

Really....its not. PT's are famous for the Rear Main seal going :-D So are Neons. Very easily confused for the Head.

However its almost as costly to replace :/
Old 01 Jun 2013, 09:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Early heads had composite gaskets, but they went to MLS 1997.
It'd leak oil above the oil pressure sender.
Old 01 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not seen a lot of rear main seals leak. I have a 03 that has 173k on it and never has had the trans pulled. No rear main leak. But the valve covers and oil senders are infamous for leaking. This does happen but not as much as some would have you believe.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jun 2013, 10:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

i could show you this and make you think my headgasket was leaking exactly where you describe

but in reality.....

it's just the valvecover.

you should check yourself to see what you think.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have not seen a lot of rear main seals leak. I have a 03 that has 173k on it and never has had the trans pulled. No rear main leak. But the valve covers and oil senders are infamous for leaking. This does happen but not as much as some would have you believe.
^ agree. my seal looked just fine today at 254k. i changed it anyways since i was in there, but only because i had a new one sitting here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (72.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (92.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by rob342; 02 Jun 2013 at 10:56 am.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 02:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes they do have some issues. I had to have mine changed, seems CHrysler didnt properly tourque some of them and they would leak at the port between the head surface and block, just as described.

They had a TSB to back the head bolts out and re-tourque but my pal at the dealer said forget that it doesnt work so I had the head gasket changed on my 06 base, only had 20K miles on it. I too thought it was the oil pressure sensor.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 02 Jun 2013, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fairley good information ,mostly except the part about Chrysler not torquing the heads properly. In fact even a Performance built engine by some respected Performance machine shops in the country can not duplicate the accuracy of a factory install and torque engine head.

Before anyone gets all "torqued" out of shape!!!!

Here is why:

Chrysler uses engine building robots deploy DC electric gang drivers and "torque to turn" controls that simultaneously tighten all the head fasteners on an engine at once to correct torque, for perfectly even clamping force and improved head-block sealing. This kind of procedure is generally beyond even the capability of most Pro Performance Engine Machine shops. I won't even mention, "wait yes I will", that the 2.4 factory machined cylinders were bored and honed with a highly sophisticated stress plate torqued in place to simulate the block-warping so that the cylinder bores are stretched perfectly round when the head is finally torqued on.

A well taken care of 2.4 engine with less then 60,000 mile will produce more power and torque and out last most common rebuilt engine and many "performance" build ups.

TSB's (technical service bulletin) although are great starting points for searching for information about issues it is not a definitive informational of repair procedure in all cases from any given specific auto maker. They are usually a Technician not an engineer that does input problems with possible suggestive cures for problems. This is why in many case there are many TSB's from different sources on the same problem.
In this case the TSB's and APRA I found about loosening and re-tightening the head bolts there have been a few revised informational's and they don't seem to indicate problem correction after the procedure?
Also the 2.4 head bolt is a Torque-to-yield, so the replacement of them during any re-tighten procedure would be prudent and not mentioned in the reports I read?
So I would say don't do this procedure!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Whether they designed it in or not, dunno-

But Neon / PT have a failsafe for rear main- The flexplate or flywheel (1995) prevent seal from blowing out-

Busted and Rob I agree with (frequently)- 2.4's don't have rear main problems