Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
troubleshooting weak A/C - fan control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2013, 01:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default troubleshooting weak A/C - fan control

Just wondering if anyone has any troubleshooting tips with a multimeter for a suspected malfunctioning radiator fan causing weak A/C?

My gf has had this for a cpl years on her 07 cruiser she bought brand new but lived with it. The A/C blows refrigerated but weak. At idle (which is also rough) there's hardly any but with enough hwy driving, it eventually cools the cabin.

My initial thoughts are high speed circuit on the radiator fan and after searching the forum, it seems to be the culprit the majority of the time.

Wondering which relay is for low / high operation and during what condition is the voltage applied and from where? Maybe post a wiring diagram? Thanks!
Old 01 Jun 2013, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: troubleshooting weak A/C - fan control

did the paperclip test and the compressor came on, radiator fan was on high and cold air was consistently blowing from the vents.

without getting into it more cause the part was cheap and easy to replace, I swapped the low side switch with one from advance (#20299) - as soon as I replaced it I noticed the radiator fan wasn't coming on at idle. (something I missed in my haste)

slightly better AC function but the problem is definitely not fixed. am now thinking it's the fan too and I'll need a tiny recharge of the system for the amount it was over pressure venting.

(I had been noticing a wispy smoke coming over the hood from the right side while in traffic a few times and had no clue what it was till I read another forum post)

Tags
air conditioning, fan, fan control module