Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New guy in need of purchasing advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2013, 06:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New guy in need of purchasing advise

Hello all! I am in the process of selling my 08 mustang gt and have decided to scratch another long-time itch of mine in purchasing a pt cruiser.
I am including model years 02 thru 05 in my search with milage under 100k. She will be primarily used for commuting back and forth to work, mostly interstate travel. I would like any advise that would help me with this purchase.
Primarily pro's and con's of the turbo models, any hereditary problems to be on the look out for, along with anything else you guys can think of that would be important to know when purchasing.
Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!
Old 01 Jun 2013, 07:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: New guy in need of purchasing advise

I've owned both as new. Turbo all the way. My current one goes 8k between oil changes with no leaks or oil usage. There is no way you'd be able to go from a V8 Mustang to a NA PT Cruiser.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 01 Jun 2013, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

lol...i hear ya! I will admit it is a stretch in terms of hp as my mustang was actually build up a bit, but again it will be used for commuting so I haven't ruled out a nonturbo model. Just wondering as to the reliability of the boosted 2.4. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01 Jun 2013, 07:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

From reading the forums if the car has been maintained and never overheated like mine the engine will last forever. Everything else around it needs service now and then. Good luck with your hunt.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 05:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If your looking for MPG look elsewhere. I like my Dreamcruiser but I may have thought twice about it if I knew I was going to get less then 20mpg and Pay preimum gas prices. Its not all the cars fault I have a very heavy foot, but I still don't think I could do 20mpg if I tried.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 02 Jun 2013, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If your looking for MPG look elsewhere. I like my Dreamcruiser but I may have thought twice about it if I knew I was going to get less then 20mpg and Pay preimum gas prices. Its not all the cars fault I have a very heavy foot, but I still don't think I could do 20mpg if I tried.
Mole and NitroPT are getting a good bit better mpg on their GTs. 5 sp n/a gets decent mileage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jun 2013, 06:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Mole and NitroPT are getting a good bit better mpg on their GTs. 5 sp n/a gets decent mileage.
If you look at their other cars you can see they don't have to drive the Pt hard unless they want to. I'm not making excuses I know I drive like an idiot. I have to say I rather enjoy it. The pt is a fun car to drive.

Old 02 Jun 2013, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
If you look at their other cars you can see they don't have to drive the Pt hard unless they want to. I'm not making excuses I know I drive like an idiot. I have to say I rather enjoy it. The pt is a fun car to drive.
The guy your giving advice to now is more aware of that. So they can take your original statement with a gran of salt. Far as the gas mileage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jun 2013, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
If your looking for MPG look elsewhere. I like my Dreamcruiser but I may have thought twice about it if I knew I was going to get less then 20mpg and Pay preimum gas prices.
Well i'm coming off a cammed v8, and 20mph sounds like a dream come true
The premium gas that goes along with the turbo is food for thought, thank you for reminding me of that.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo View Post
Well i'm coming off a cammed v8, and 20mph sounds like a dream come true
The premium gas that goes along with the turbo is food for thought, thank you for reminding me of that.
Heres food for thought. Once you get a Pt and you see what can be done with them you will be bitten by the Mod bug. I look at things this way it is almost expected that a Mustang be fast, But most people(not here) laugh when they think of a Pt going fast. Its not to hard to get a PTGT into the 13's @ the track.