PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bumper swap 06 to 01

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2013, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bumper swap 06 to 01

Hi everyone, I am trying to find out if I can take the complete rear bumper assembly from an 06 and up and install it on my 2001 Limited. I simply like the cleaner look it would provide. I just need to know if it is plug & play or will it require modifications?
Thanks for all your responses!
Old 03 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Bumper swap 06 to 01

don't know for sure but since the bodies are pretty much identical, i would say yes.

i'm sure someone with more expertise will pop in.
tikitoride likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2013, 11:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitoride View Post
Hi everyone, I am trying to find out if I can take the complete rear bumper assembly from an 06 and up and install it on my 2001 Limited. I simply like the cleaner look it would provide. I just need to know if it is plug & play or will it require modifications?
you could always get a Xenon rear bumper cover. I goes over your stock one.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 04 Jun 2013, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yes you can. The cover with foam and you will need the backups as well. Or just prime the textured part of yours and paint it body color.
tikitoride likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2013, 09:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I have a 07 rear bumper on my 03 GT. Busted_PT is rite you need the foam and the rear tail lights and it will all bolt up.
Busted_PT and tikitoride like this.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Busted_PT...Thanks for your response! I figured this would work. I recently prepped and painted the entire front bumper assembly and it looks fantastic. I will look for a wreck and get all the parts for the rear then prep and paint etc. I also prefer the 06 tail lights (with the clear instead of amber) so I might try that as well! Thanks again! "tikitoride"
Old 04 Jun 2013, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hey Busted_PT...Thanks for your response! I figured this would work. I recently prepped and painted the entire front bumper assembly and it looks fantastic. I will look for a wreck and get all the parts for the rear then prep and paint etc. I also prefer the 06 tail lights (with the clear instead of amber) so I might try that as well! Thanks again! "tikitoride"
Get the pig tails for the tail lights sockets are a little different.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2013, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Get the pig tails for the tail lights sockets are a little different.
Hey Busted_PT.....I was wondering about those connections being a little different. Thanks for the tip! It is weird about the subtle differences year to year. For example the sunroof on a 02 does not open as far back as an 01 Go figure.... Thanks Again! "tikitoride"
Old 05 Jun 2013, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hey Busted_PT.....I was wondering about those connections being a little different. Thanks for the tip! It is weird about the subtle differences year to year. For example the sunroof on a 02 does not open as far back as an 01 Go figure.... Thanks Again! "tikitoride"
I should open all the way back. Hit the switch again when it's that far again.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2013, 09:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Bumper swap 06 to 01

Hey their tikitoride,

Sounds like your already set here. Also agree with Busted, other than the foam and lights, bumper assembly should be straight up bolt on without any mods.

Also agree, get the pig tails for the newer tail lights and the work fine. I also like the clear lenses as well. I think it matches up better overall. Here is mine with 07 tails.

And I know their was a trick having to hit the switch a second time or something along those lines to get the 01 sunroof to go all the way back.

Anyways, your in good hands with the way cool guys here. This is a great Forum full of very cool people always willing to help a fellow Cruiser anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing