PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!!! Not Starting Clutch Safety Switch???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2013, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP!!! Not Starting Clutch Safety Switch???

I'm new here, please forgive if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser with a 5-speed manual. The guy that I bought it from said that he disabled the safety switch. I noted a few times that when I would try to start it, I would have to turn the key back and forth a few times and it would finally start. I am wondering first if his "bypass" might be the issue, or if there is something else that may be causing the problem. How would I check this? Also, note that I called my local Chrysler dealer, and they had no clue what the switch was. . . Any advice would be GREAT!
Old 06 Jun 2013, 02:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!!! Not Starting Clutch Safety Switch???

jaco; the clutch safety switch sends a signal to the PCM [computer] to allow the starter to crank the motor. The computer also uses the signal to shut off the cruise control when the clutch is depressed. I would replace the switch and go from there. Maybe [a guess] the pcm needs to 'reset' between starts?
Old 06 Jun 2013, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

I found the bypass and it is secure. Just to be safe, however, I have a new switch coming. Would the ignition switch cause the same problem? I was having to turn the key back and forth 3-4 times every time I tried to start it before it engaged and started. ....
Old 07 Jun 2013, 12:19 am
Senior Cruiser

jacob; The ignition switch along with weak/bad connections/grounds could cause your problems. Todays cars are waaay too complicated, to the point that dealer mechanics with all their fancy equipment cannot always fix them. Blame the engineers and the bean counters, for they know not what they have created!
Old 07 Jun 2013, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for the input. I took a $20 gamble and changed the ignition switch (Duralast - Autozone - lifetime warranty) and it worked like a charm! Had to do it without taking the key cylinder out though, I never was able to get anything onto te tab that you are supposed to push to get it out....
Old 07 Jun 2013, 09:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobg128 View Post
I never was able to get anything onto the tab that you are supposed to push to get it out....
glad it's fixed. for future reference, the little pin can only be pressed in when the key is in the ignition and turned. it's a safety feature.
Old 07 Jun 2013, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like I claimed victory too soon. Its back to the same old thing. Turn the key and the everything lights up like it should, fuel pump pressures up, but when you turn to "start", nothing happens. What else could this be?
Old 07 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

jacob; I would remove the battery, clean it, and hose it off. Clean battery posts and coat with grease/silicone. Then remove the 'spider ground' screw from the left fender panel [beside the battery]. Then wire brush both sides of all the connectors of the spider grounds and grease and remount. Clean and check battery terminal clamps and wires. With copper wires, green is your enemy. This is a starting point for further tests.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So far, I have a new ignition switch, new battery, cleaned wires on the battery, checked relays, fuses, and still no joy. I did note that there is a heavy wire that goes under the battery tray and has a loop on it as if it should be bolted to something. I can't see any shiny spots on it as if it has recently come loose. does anyone know if this is an actual possibility?
Old 11 Jun 2013, 02:02 am
Senior Cruiser

jacob; I have no clue. Wire color?