Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Speed control does not come on, ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Speed control does not come on, ever?

Hey guys, I have a 2006 touring convertible turbo. I cannot get the cruise to turn on, as in no light on the dash and it does not hold speed. additionally, I had my friend at Autozone scan the car. I got no codes but at the very end of the report it said the transmission has overheated. We looked it up and his computer said primary cause is low transmission fluid. I checked and is was a little low.

third layer. the distance to empty/average MPG displays inaccurate data. I did a test, drove over 100 miles, filled up and did the math. The car got 24.6mpg on the highway. the gauge read 18.9. before I refilled the tank the guage said DTE was 143 and I still had just under 3?4 tank of fuel.

Any ideas? I wonder if the two problems are related?

I look forward to hearing from you!

I just bought the car about three weeks ago. no other problems, it has about 98,000 miles and I have a reciept for a timing belt replacement at 84,592 miles.

Last edited by ElmoZomborrow; 04 Jun 2013 at 06:09 pm. Reason: wrong word
Old 04 Jun 2013, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Speed control does not come on, ever?

Wonder if anyone has changed the trans filter and fluid. If filter is dirty it could starve the pump and work the trans harder.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2013, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never found a " distance to empty to average MPG" to be anything but a guesstimate by the computer or what the numbers should be. They are not reliable.

Do yourself a favor and have the transaxle fully flushed and make sure they use ATF+4

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jun 2013, 11:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The MPG guage is designed to be reset at each fill up. It calculates an average, so 100 miles of highway driving will make little difference on it depenting on when it was last reset. Do the test again, but reset it after filling up, and I think you'll see the accuracy increase, although it's not designed to be spot on.
Old 09 Jun 2013, 01:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info about the MPG thingy. Any one have help for me on the cruise control issue?
Old 09 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Elmo; when the engine is running, pushing the speed control on/off button should turn the 'cruise' light on or off. I typed in 'PT cruiser cruise control installation' and got a wiring diagram for a 2002 PT. And some neat pictures. Your car is different. However, it gives a general idea of how the system works.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 01:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exactly, When I push the button I get no "cruise" light and speed control does not work. I've looked everywhere for a fuse and cannot find one. no vacum leaks....I'm lost.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 01:34 am
Senior Cruiser

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest raising your steering wheel just a tad. there have been quite a few problems related to things not working in that area due to stress on the tight harnesses that are in or around the steering column.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 04:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Elmo; like soy said, some have had a steering column issue. There's an excellent post written yesterday? on the same issue in the tech section.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PT06, I looked in the tech section and could not find the post. Can you send a link to it or give me the name of the poster and the date? thanks.