Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EVAP pump & purge Solendoid Rf&R ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2013, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default EVAP pump & purge Solendoid Rf&R ?

So I had my 06 PT over to the local garage and was told I have a faulty EVAP pump and purge solenoid. I guess the pump is an intermittent problem and the solenoid was said to stick but not a true fault at this point.

My question is can anyone give me a few tips to doing this on the garage floor. I am fairly handy around a car with brakes, oil changes, trans fluid, and other typical repairs. I am guessing jacking up the back of the car and putting it on stands is the way to start. Are the parts plug and play connections or do I have to get into anything special? I am heading to buy the parts this weekend and going for a repair manual for the PT at the local Advance.

I am thinking it cant be too bad just looking to gather as much info up front before getting started. I tried a search here on the forum and came up with discussions on EVAP systems but nothing pointing to repairs. I also searched Google but came up with nothing specific to the pump or the purge solenoid. Maybe the PT manual will help but I like to get more than one perspective.

Thanks in advance for any help
Scott
Old 04 Jun 2013, 09:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: EVAP pump & purge Solendoid Rf&R ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscott View Post
So I had my 06 PT over to the local garage and was told I have a faulty EVAP pump and purge solenoid. I guess the pump is an intermittent problem and the solenoid was said to stick but not a true fault at this point.

My question is can anyone give me a few tips to doing this on the garage floor. I am fairly handy around a car with brakes, oil changes, trans fluid, and other typical repairs. I am guessing jacking up the back of the car and putting it on stands is the way to start. Are the parts plug and play connections or do I have to get into anything special? I am heading to buy the parts this weekend and going for a repair manual for the PT at the local Advance.

I am thinking it cant be too bad just looking to gather as much info up front before getting started. I tried a search here on the forum and came up with discussions on EVAP systems but nothing pointing to repairs. I also searched Google but came up with nothing specific to the pump or the purge solenoid. Maybe the PT manual will help but I like to get more than one perspective.

Thanks in advance for any help
Scott
Sure :-D

Find the Evap solenoid. *located on the firewall drivers side , tiny little black round canister* Take a pair of pliers, squeeze off the crimps. remove the hoses from each side.

Remove the solenoid. Then reverse the process with the new one :-)

The pump is just as simple *located on the top of the gas tank, but easily reachable without dropping it :-) its round, has 2 hoses and an electrical connector sticking off it*

Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Remove the 2 hoses, disconnect the electrical connector. Replace the pump, and reconnect the hoses then the electrical connector .

Done :-D
Old 05 Jun 2013, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks pluminator I would have assumed the purge solenoid was next to the pump. I am glad it is a garage floor project.

thanks again for the tips
Old 05 Jun 2013, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the title line typo

Supposed to be: EVAP pump & purge solenoid R&R?
Old 05 Jun 2013, 06:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscott View Post
Sorry for the title line typo

Supposed to be: EVAP pump & purge solenoid R&R?
And i apologize as well. I was thinking of the front evap canister. You are correct it is next to the pump :-D . I just looked at mine. I had replaced the whole system last month on my 03 base which consists of a few electrical connectors, the pump, the solenoid and 2 canisters *one at the firewall and a large one back at the tank* plus a whole lot of tubing haha