PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2013, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition Problem

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if I've posted in the wrong place about this...

I have just changed the multifunction switch on my cruiser after the age old fog lights staying on problem. I've put the cap back on and charged the battery, but when I've gone to start it, it won't let me turn the key past the ignition and thus starting the car.

I've got my foot on the clutch, the steering isn't locked therefore I'm very confused. This was never a problem before.

Any advice appreciated. Have I done something to it when changing the switch?

Thanks

Simon.
Old 05 Jun 2013, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Problem

Yes, only because it was OK before. Retrace your steps and you will most likely discover the culprit. If not obvious then look closely at the connectors in that area.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2013, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your kind help.

As suggested, I traced my steps but nothing obvious, then I noticed that at the opposite end to the side where I put the key in, there's a cream coloured box. Upon closer inspection, there's a screw missing from the top of it that holds it to the metal shaft (that you put your key into). Because the screw was missing, I could pull it straight off which revealed a steel rod inside that had snapped. So, that's the problem. God knows how this has happened. Talk about no luck! I thought I was doing well repairing the multifunction switch without a garage :/

Next question. What on earth is that metal road called and is it replaceable? Do I need a whole new key and ignition?

Thanks again.

Simon.
Old 05 Jun 2013, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just bought this. Basically, the golden bit on the end is the bit that has come loose and inside that, that's where the metal rod has snapped. Hope it's the right thing and it will get the thing going again. I'm missing her terribly!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Ignition Barrel with Key | eBay

Tags
ignition, multifunction switch, repair