PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 pt cruiser ( Is it time to move on)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2013, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 pt cruiser ( Is it time to move on)

I have a question for anyone willing to give me thier two cents. What i have is a 2001 pt with 141 thoudsand miles on it, it has some issues and im debating on what to do. Either fix the issues or buy another vehicle,here are the isses. The water pump leaks, the heater core leaks, the watts link needs replaced. The front end needs a new bushing and aligned plus one of the front half axles is clicking so it will need to be replaced.Ive looked up on kbb and the pt has a value in its condition of about $1650. If i do the heater core myself im still looking to spend at least what the car is worth just to fix these issues. So im wondering if its worth fixing it up or moving on?
Old 06 Jun 2013, 11:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser ( Is it time to move on)

well, when changing the timing belt the water pump is done at the same time. that's around $1200. just had my heater core done and the a/c evap as they're both in the same area and the whole dash has to come out. dealer wanted $1400 with their parts. with my parts, cost was $800.

my suggestion is to trade her in, especially with that mileage.
Old 06 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i like not having a car payment so spending a little on the car isnt a problem for me but its what makes you happythe first year PT is pretty cool to have getting her fixed she should last a few more years kind of up to you me Id fix it and drive it
Old 06 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah i hate car payments, but i just didnt want to keep putting money into it if it was going to continue having problems as the miles went up.Its been a decent car, i have put about 2000 into repairs in the time ive owned it. Does anyone know about how many miles you can get out of one of these engines? 2.4 non turbo.
Old 06 Jun 2013, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley80926 View Post
Does anyone know about how many miles you can get out of one of these engines? 2.4 non turbo.
i'm at 253,788. i don't beat the car, but i drive it "fun" as in i redline it, hear tire squealing, etc. here's a video of me encouraging a woman to walk faster -> run lady run! - YouTube

i'd do the water pump, watts link, axle. in that order.

the axle is cheap and only requires you to remove a cotter key, the axle nut, and 2 bolts. i can change an axle in 15 minutes if not less.

if the heater core makes the floor wet it needs to be changed, if you just smell coolant, it may just be from the waterpump leaking. i used to think mine leaked. i occasionally(very rarely) get a random whiff of coolant, nothing i'd rip the dash out over though.

the bushing is no big deal. i'd say leave it to occasionally clunk until you need balljoints

if you dont want to pay for the waterpump, it's time to move on. if you absolutely feel the need to fix all those parts you mention, it's probably time to move on. if you can change the 3 things i mentioned, you'll get a lot more out of it.

Last edited by rob342; 06 Jun 2013 at 02:22 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2013, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a thread on how many miles you have. rob342 has 250 on his. If you can do the heater core. You should be able to do the other things. The more you do the more you save. Also think about the total cost of car payments for a year plus full coverage insurance for the year. Then there is next year.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jun 2013, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your imput guys, i think i will see if i can get the water pump changed and go from there. Hope it will last for a few more years.
Old 06 Jun 2013, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We have a how to section if you are game plus you have use to explain anything as you go.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com