Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mount question/issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2013, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mount question/issue

Hi . I have an 03 non turbo automatic touring edition. About a year or so ago I had the upper and lower motor mounts replaced (no the shop didn't fill them in with urethane or anything, just replaced them). A couple months after I started to get a funny popping noise at different times. When you would put it in or out of gear, sometimes when tunring it would make a pop. Not a heavy suspension like pop more like when you catch a rock with the tire and it pops. After checking the suspension and a lot of head scratching, the shop found the big bolt on the top motor mount (the one that goes into the motor through the big rubber donut) was loose. They tightened it up and apologized as they thought they must have forgot to tighten it when they replaced it. Ok, we all make mistakes. Well last week the noise started again. I finally had a chance to look at it today and again, the same bolt is loose. I tightened the hell out of it and the noise is gone. What could be causing that bolt to loosen every few months? Do I need to pull it out and coat it with thread locker?
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 09 Jun 2013, 11:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mount question/issue

i would use threadlock on it if it's coming loose. if that bolt is loose, the metal doesn't interlock and all the stress is placed on the bolt. i have sheared that bolt off twice. so anything to prevent it from loosening would be in your best interest.

i don't know why it would loosen. i think maybe they did not tighten it enough to begin with. it's supposed to be 85ft/lbs. that is very difficult to do since only a wrench fits in there. if you "tightened the hell out of it", you're probably right around where you should be.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Jun 2013 at 11:51 am.