PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C blows warm air

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2013, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy A/C blows warm air

2001 non turbo, auto.

Last summer, a/c was working fine except for when I stopped in traffic, then it was hot.... engine overheated, found out it was my radiator fan, replaced it before winter. Engine didn't overheat anymore but now it's summer again and the a/c isn't blowing cold air even tho the pipes are cold and wet.

Took it to the local part store to get a recharge container but the salesman suggested I check the pressure first. Upon doing so, I found that the gauge was flipping out, fluctuating from 0-55psi every few seconds and something was clicking... salesman said the clicking sound "could" be either the compressor or the fan... hard to tell if it's the fan, can't see through the shroud very well in that tight bit of space so... he said not to fill it up until i found out why the gauge was flipping out.

took it to the other part store in town and the guy wanted me to take it to a garage. out of frustration i just went home and researched it myself and there's a hundred things it could be. I'm confused. Is it just empty? or do I really need to take it to the shop?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 07:35 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: A/C blows warm air

I'm guessing the clicking is the compressor clutch engaging and you can only really check the psi when engaged. Sounds like it's low to me.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 08:25 pm
Young Cruiser

When the car is running and up to temp, can you hear the fan? It should be on when A/C is running. The fans tend to go bad and this may be the issue.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 06:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer92 View Post
When the car is running and up to temp, can you hear the fan? It should be on when A/C is running. The fans tend to go bad and this may be the issue.
Yes the fan does come on but we weren't sure if the "clicking" sound was the clutch switch thing/compressor or the fan kicking on and off... i don't think it was the fan. it's an aftermarket fan and it's sound is very obvious. i'm hoping it's just empty, i'm going to try a recharge i think.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update: I recharged it on a hunch based on the first reply that it was empty. Now it works just fine! If only I can get my trucks a/c to work. Dif problem tho. 06 colorado. a/c is charged but still blowing hot air. hot/cold switch does work (checked it), pipes not getting cold, however the one in front of the radiator is getting so cold it actually frosts. At least one of our vehicles has cold air.