Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
aftermarket electric fan cooling fan control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2013, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default aftermarket electric fan cooling fan control

I need to know has anyone bypassed the factory fan control on 2002 cruise and hooked a aftermarket such as the link I,'m posting. My fan isn't working like it should and it looks like it's going to be in the computer. I was thinking it would just be easier and cost less to do this and not replace the computer. I have one my mustang with no trouble just wanted to see how anyone went about it and how it works on the cruiser. Are if there is a better kit for it.
Compressor Works/Cooling Fan Control (733647) | AutoZone.com
Old 10 Jun 2013, 04:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: aftermarket electric fan cooling fan control

if the fan isn't working like it should chances are you need a new fan. an aftermarket controller won't make the 2 speed fan work any differently. if you have a turbo, then it might work as turbos have variable speed fans.

just my .02
Old 10 Jun 2013, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My mechanic says that the problem is with the computer. When we bypass the computer, the fan works.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 02:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Sam; the temp sensor [ECT - engine coolant sensor] sends a reading to the computer which in turn decides to turn on either the high or low fan relay coils, which will [through high current contacts] sent current to either the high speed or low speed brushes of the fan motor. The ECT is located in the thermostat housing. Getting tired.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 06:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I am getting tired that's why I want to hook up the aftermarket fan temp to bypass all the things that could make the fan not work. The more stuff you got operating them the more chances something is going to fell. The shop had it hooked up on there computer and it was all working fine so there was nothing to go by. The hooked a wire under the high speed relay and said next time it happened ground the wire if the fan worked then it's the computer. Guess they wasn't thinking about the ECT being bad. Think I'm hooking the aftermarket controller up, that way if it doesn't work it's the fan or the controller. Not all the guess and hoping and waiting to see if it works are not.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan universal fan controller will work just fine. Follow the installation instruction and you will be good to go. I prefer Derale myself. FYI I reset the ECU fan settings with my DST because IMO the factory actuate at to high a temperature. Also I am using a 180F thermostat and the ECU does not recognize the new coolant temperature. So the use of a fan control will allow you to custom tailor there operation.
Regardless what the fan control issue is, installing a universal fan control IMO is a an improvement.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Jun 2013, 01:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Got the fan control hooked up today it's working fine. The set up I got didn't have the set up for the low fan, and I found out today it doesn't work anyway. I have the high speed fan coming on with the ac. Good thing is I don't have to wonder if the fan is going to kick on are not. Just letting you know it will work on the pt just as nitro said, thanks for the feed back everyone. This is the third car I've done this set up on the other two are still working fine, first was a older 5.0 mustang I put electric fan in. I drive it couple times a week. The second is a lincoln continental which is driven everyday. It's been over two years now on those hoping this one works just as well.

Last edited by samsonhusky; 13 Jun 2013 at 01:49 am.