PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:14 pm
Princess's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Default My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

Everything worked fine.... I tagged along to take co-worker to autozone for battery replacement quote n' stuff. When it was all over I pulled out & when I gave her gas to get past 4 lanes to a turn since stores at intersection...

Instead of a nice deep purr, she made a squealing noise instead. I decided to break out soundcloud to record how she was running on the highway & during breaking// Acceleration. The moment I take foot off gas however the noise goes away.

The first time it happened the engine didn't purr...it just squealed, however now its more of a background noise that wasn't there before.

http://soundcloud.com/kitten

The last 3 uploads are of the issue, however #3 may reveal more as its city not highway speeds & a rev and engine sounds from a complete stop.

To clarify anything though, autozone did NOT touch the car, open the hood, nothing. Only thing that was touched was air filter to get to bare battery & the 12v was pulled since my chargers tip broke off inside it somehow (thanks french technology!) and I used a flathead to get it out. and I have an 08 Automatic Base.

Last edited by Princess; 12 Jun 2013 at 07:17 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm
Chriscokid's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mobile al
Posts: 197
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

My guess is a slipping belt. Good luck
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2005 PT GT Vert
2004 Honda Aquatrax turbo Jetski
2006 Honda Aquatrax
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 03:37 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,266
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

My babies made squealing noises when giving gas.
Motorhead and pluminator like this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

I go along with Chris (pt06 too, but that's another story). The alternator belt could be the one that's squealing. The serpentine belt has a tensioner that's keeps it nice a tight but the alternator is adjusted by hand through adjustment on the part itself.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:24 am
Princess's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I go along with Chris (pt06 too, but that's another story). The alternator belt could be the one that's squealing. The serpentine belt has a tensioner that's keeps it nice a tight but the alternator is adjusted by hand through adjustment on the part itself.

How critical is the fix for that belt? from what I can feel theres no performance loss or added sluggishness so I wasnt too worried, however I cant take it to a shop yet.

I need my car for work, we both know public transportation here in cen. FL is horrid... I would need a 1 day repair on a day im off....and it could get too expensive. I only have 120 to cover epass, gas, and meals till next biweekly. so I rather take it when I can be sure it can be checked & problem tackled, albiet more expensively. unless theres a way to check everything pre-shop.... determine the exact issue then order the part from mopar and take it to shop and only get charged labor.

I wont step foot in a bus here in orlando.....too many crazies, but I dont want to blow pt up either.


I think I need new sparkplugs too. Im getting 19.4 MPG avg on highway....


wanna know something funny too?.... This is right after wawa gas xD I doubt its connected though but it IS basic E10 grade. it was tempting at 3.29.... but I found 711 for 2.27 at old goldenrod and narcoosee

Last edited by Princess; 13 Jun 2013 at 09:27 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
How critical is the fix for that belt? from what I can feel theres no performance loss or added sluggishness so I wasnt too worried, however I cant take it to a shop yet.

I need my car for work, we both know public transportation here in cen. FL is horrid... I would need a 1 day repair on a day im off....and it could get too expensive. I only have 120 to cover epass, gas, and meals till next biweekly. so I rather take it when I can be sure it can be checked & problem tackled, albiet more expensively. unless theres a way to check everything pre-shop.... determine the exact issue then order the part from mopar and take it to shop and only get charged labor.

I wont step foot in a bus here in orlando.....too many crazies, but I dont want to blow pt up either.


I think I need new sparkplugs too. Im getting 19.4 MPG avg on highway....


wanna know something funny too?.... This is right after wawa gas xD I doubt its connected though but it IS basic E10 grade. it was tempting at 3.29.... but I found 711 for 2.27 at old goldenrod and narcoosee

Really depends on what you want to work. If its the alternator belt its 100% critical. If that breaks or slips off, the car will run for a while, but wont recharge the battery while driving, thus draining it and the car will die and wont start again until it is replaced "sometimes the belt AND alternator if it burns it out".

If its the serpentine and it breaks. You will lose AC and Power steering. So if you cant muscle a car around without PS....it may be difficult to drive.

The alternator belt is a bit tricky to replace but easy to tighten if its just loose , but the serpentine belt is pretty simple to replace if your handy with a socket wrench and floor jack :-D We have a few threads in the "how to" forums about how to replace both *if you replace the serpentine make sure to have the tensioner replaced at the same time due to it being what keeps it nice and tight * :-D
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:18 am
Princess's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Really depends on what you want to work. If its the alternator belt its 100% critical. If that breaks or slips off, the car will run for a while, but wont recharge the battery while driving, thus draining it and the car will die and wont start again until it is replaced "sometimes the belt AND alternator if it burns it out".

If its the serpentine and it breaks. You will lose AC and Power steering. So if you cant muscle a car around without PS....it may be difficult to drive.

The alternator belt is a bit tricky to replace but easy to tighten if its just loose , but the serpentine belt is pretty simple to replace if your handy with a socket wrench and floor jack :-D We have a few threads in the "how to" forums about how to replace both *if you replace the serpentine make sure to have the tensioner replaced at the same time due to it being what keeps it nice and tight * :-D
Could it of been loosened by hard impacts? Into the housing area here, to make people slow down the HOA Put Brick strips... Its Road > 5FT of Brick > Road for 10 feet > 5 feet of more brick > Entrance to community... If you take it over 20 you get a decent thud from your car. Then, there's a plaza and if you take it at the wrong angle on any low car you will scrape the bottom (I think it scrapes) since the road goes up so suddenly. I did it twice by accident and you could hear a "SHHHHHHHHHRRSHHH" for like 3 seconds but I checked & saw no damage on the underside of the front and sides.



Then the bump at Seaworlds security gate is horrid too. Your going down a road full of tourists and need to take the turn slow but you hardly ever can since the guy behind you wants to run you over it seems. I take that one around 15ish If I can brake in time...


Maybe I should convince a local forumer who has experience on PTs to check it and I Take them to dinner or something.... All I know is, I bought this last week at 73,407 Miles...and now Im at 74,009

Last edited by Princess; 13 Jun 2013 at 10:22 am.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:41 pm
Princess's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

this morning the sound all but dissappeared and I was hopeful, it wasn't there after work either but started again when I was getting near off ramp for home.

uploaded another audio clip of hood up, in park... and revving.


I also looked in engine compartment found two things I saw as odd, pics attached...


looks like duck tape down there??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130613_191520173742081.jpg (97.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20130613_191536641014045.jpg (89.1 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

The Duct Tape looks to be around a piece of rubber insulation that would stop that part of the cable/wire from rubbing against somethings. In your first picture, you see the piece of metal holding the fuel line up and away from other things? That's because in the early models like mine, the fuel line used to rub against the A/C line and caused a fire or two. To fix that, on mine, the dealer used a tie wrap to pull the line away. Looks like that eventually made that bracket to hold the fuel line safely out of harms way. Neither have anything to do with your squealing.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: My baby makes squealing noise when given gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Could it of been loosened by hard impacts? Into the housing area here, to make people slow down the HOA Put Brick strips... Its Road > 5FT of Brick > Road for 10 feet > 5 feet of more brick > Entrance to community... If you take it over 20 you get a decent thud from your car. Then, there's a plaza and if you take it at the wrong angle on any low car you will scrape the bottom (I think it scrapes) since the road goes up so suddenly. I did it twice by accident and you could hear a "SHHHHHHHHHRRSHHH" for like 3 seconds but I checked & saw no damage on the underside of the front and sides.



Then the bump at Seaworlds security gate is horrid too. Your going down a road full of tourists and need to take the turn slow but you hardly ever can since the guy behind you wants to run you over it seems. I take that one around 15ish If I can brake in time...


Maybe I should convince a local forumer who has experience on PTs to check it and I Take them to dinner or something.... All I know is, I bought this last week at 73,407 Miles...and now Im at 74,009
Bumps usually dont loosen things like that. However what happens with the alternator belts is eventually they will stretch. They are made of rubber and get weathered, and tend to dry out a bit, when that happens the overall size can increase by very small fractions, thus causing it to be loose. It can be tightened by removing a bolt on the alternator and moving the alternator backwards towards the firewall. However if the belt is worn enough, the new tension may cause it to break.

I would take it to a competent mechanic and have him look at the two belts, check the tensioner on the serpentine belt and check the condition of the alternator belt :-). If you go to like midias or mineke and tell them its making a weird noise, they will usually check it out for free :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help after a turbo was replaced and it still makes the noise mrpilat General Turbo Discussions 5 22 Jun 2012 01:31 pm
Fan makes noise? Jimmy2011 General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 17 Apr 2012 10:45 pm
What else makes grinding noise? 808 Wheels, Tires, Suspension 14 04 Apr 2012 04:21 am
My Car Makes Hissing noise when driving.. no noise from reverse or netural kasasoze Turbo Performance 3 04 Dec 2011 09:07 pm
The noise engine makes when you shut off? stirfry Tech & Performance Forum 7 26 Apr 2004 06:50 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors