Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car starts at second try...help please.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car starts at second try...help please.

So recently my car wouldn't turn on. I had someone give me a jump and it started well. keep in mind, I replaced battery last year. So after I arrived at my destination, It wouldn't turn on again. So I moved the battery cables around and made sure that the terminals were tight. The car wanted to turn on but didnt. I gave it another try and turned on like normal. Since then on, it won't start on the first try but second. Firs try always seems like it wants to start but does not. I cleaned the wires and replaced the terminals today and still does the same thing. It also appears inside lights are dim when I open doors.
1. I don't think it's the battery since it's a year old and the car starts on second try.
2. Could it be the starter? A short? Or bad cable connection?
3. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
I appreciate your help.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car starts at second try...help please.

How about the plugs and plug wires? When was the last time they were changed?? It's the spark that gets everything going.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

My suggestion is have your battery checked for a bad cell. Sometimes batteries do not care how old they are, they just decide to take an early retirement without telling anyone.

Maybe take it back where you purchased it. At least if it is bad, you can see if any warranty still exist.
Carl48 likes this.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I will go have it checked out.
It's just odd that it turns on like normal on the second try. I twist the key and it's on. I also read it could be the ignition switch. Not too sure though. or the starters.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
How about the plugs and plug wires? When was the last time they were changed?? It's the spark that gets everything going.
I actually changed the terminals and spark plugs today and also changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter.

Also, after it turns on, if I turn it off and back on it turns on right away. It only does it when I let the car sit for a while. Example: go out to grocery store. It will start on the second try from home. I'll shop and when I get back to the car, it won't start on the first try.
After it turns on, I can turn it off and turn it back on with no problem. It's only when it sits.
Thought I would add that for what ever it is worth.
I do hear a clicking sound on the first try.

Last edited by jcmnz24; 13 Jun 2013 at 07:43 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Then as Motorhead suggested, have the battery and charging system checked out. It's usually free at any decent auto store. The clicking sound is usually a sign of a weak battery but could also lead to something wrong with the starter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could it be the starter relay?
I assume it's the same thing as the solenoid?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 03:23 am
Senior Cruiser

jc; remove the battery. Remove and clean other end of neg battery cable at the engine block and at the 'spider ground' at the left fender. Remove and clean the end of the positive [red] cable at the starter. Wire brush the starter bolt. Oil/grease all cable ends and install. Install battery. And terminals.

Just a starting point. HeHe

Like crewzin said, a clicking solenoid is a sign of low voltage getting to the starter, which could be a defective battery or battery cable connection.

The starter relay is different than the solenoid.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 03:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmnz24 View Post
Could it be the starter relay?
I assume it's the same thing as the solenoid?
No...the starter relay is separate from the solenoid.

The fact that it clicks on the first try would seem to indicate a weak battery or bad battery cable(s). If the battery load tests good and the cables are in good shape and connections are good on both ends then the starter motor becomes suspect.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 03:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
jc; remove the battery. Remove and clean other end of neg battery cable at the engine block and at the 'spider ground' at the left fender. Remove and clean the end of the positive [red] cable at the starter. Wire brush the starter bolt. Oil/grease all cable ends and install. Install battery. And terminals.

Just a starting point. HeHe

Like crewzin said, a clicking solenoid is a sign of low voltage getting to the starter, which could be a defective battery or battery cable connection.

The starter relay is different than the solenoid.
Thank you, I will do that in the morning. I hope that works because that will save me $100 by not having to buy a battery. I did replace the terminals because they had corrosion and didnt look good. It didn't change. Maybe by cleaning the ends it will work. Because car starts fine after second try and light are dim when car is not on.