PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Light issue

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: seminole, florida, USA.
Posts: 14
Default Fog Light issue

I drove several miles yesterday to work and about 6 hours later got back in the car and found that the battery was dead so I got a jump and drove home. I hooked up a battery charger. This morning the car started just fine and I drove back to work and again later that afternoon the battery was dead, got another jump and drove home. I pulled into the garage and turned the car off and then I noticed that the fog lights were on. I checked and the light switch was indicating off but the lights would not go off. I then started the car and turned on high beams and the fog lights cut off as they are supposed. I then turned the car off with the light switch still in high beam position but the light off. As soon as I turned off the car the fog lights came back on. I ended up pulling the fuse for the fog lights.
Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it. unrelated the drivers side rear passenger window will not go down, the passenger side goes down.

Its and 2001 PT, 95k miles
__________________
2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Dodge Dart
http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/janedoeakafletch/
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 07:22 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
I drove several miles yesterday to work and about 6 hours later got back in the car and found that the battery was dead so I got a jump and drove home. I hooked up a battery charger. This morning the car started just fine and I drove back to work and again later that afternoon the battery was dead, got another jump and drove home. I pulled into the garage and turned the car off and then I noticed that the fog lights were on. I checked and the light switch was indicating off but the lights would not go off. I then started the car and turned on high beams and the fog lights cut off as they are supposed. I then turned the car off with the light switch still in high beam position but the light off. As soon as I turned off the car the fog lights came back on. I ended up pulling the fuse for the fog lights.
Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it. unrelated the drivers side rear passenger window will not go down, the passenger side goes down.

Its and 2001 PT, 95k miles
A bad multi function switch and rear window motor. You did make sure that it does the same thing from both switches?
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: seminole, florida, USA.
Posts: 14
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
A bad multi function switch and rear window motor. You did make sure that it does the same thing from both switches?
not sure what you mean, my car only has one set of rear window switches which are located near the floor at the rear of the center console in front of the passengers seats.
__________________
2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Dodge Dart
http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/janedoeakafletch/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Fog Light issue

You have the ORIGINAL 2000 PT Cruiser that was made the very first few months of production. Only two window switches on the dash and the back two on the floor at the rear of the floor console. In about June/July, Chrysler changed the switches and made all 4 windows operate from the dash but still left the two rear switches on the floor.

Yes, it's the multi-function switch that's giving you all the problems with the fog lights. If your handy, you can try and fix it yourself with the help of the HOW TO section on this forum or just replace the switch for around $75.

As far as the window not going down, that could be the same switch I just talked about at the rear of the floor console or the window motor itself. Needs to be checked out.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: danville, va
Posts: 64
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Just checked on autozones site, it's $57. I got mine at advance couple months ago for about same price but they're not showing one at the moment, was hoping because they're offering %15 off on online orders.
__________________
02' Touring
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: seminole, florida, USA.
Posts: 14
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You have the ORIGINAL 2000 PT Cruiser that was made the very first few months of production. Only two window switches on the dash and the back two on the floor at the rear of the floor console. In about June/July, Chrysler changed the switches and made all 4 windows operate from the dash but still left the two rear switches on the floor.

Yes, it's the multi-function switch that's giving you all the problems with the fog lights. If your handy, you can try and fix it yourself with the help of the HOW TO section on this forum or just replace the switch for around $75.

As far as the window not going down, that could be the same switch I just talked about at the rear of the floor console or the window motor itself. Needs to be checked out.

thank you very much
__________________
2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Dodge Dart
http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/janedoeakafletch/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:11 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: danville, va
Posts: 64
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Nevermind, I checked again, I had to search for turn signal switch it's 59 and with online discount it's 50.
__________________
02' Touring
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2013, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Nevermind, I checked again, I had to search for turn signal switch it's 59 and with online discount it's 50.
You have to make sure the multi-function switch (stalk) is the one WITH the FOG LIGHTS. You can buy the wrong one WITHOUT the FOGS so be careful which one you buy. Also, when replacing the new switch (stalk) the little black box on top of the OLD switch that controls the flasher unit has to come off and transferred to the NEW switch. Failure to do that will make you loose the turn signal capability.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: seminole, florida, USA.
Posts: 14
Default Re: Fog Light issue

I went to the dealership and was told the part (fog light switch) would be $143.
__________________
2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Dodge Dart
http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/janedoeakafletch/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2013, 07:12 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: danville, va
Posts: 64
Default Re: Fog Light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You have to make sure the multi-function switch (stalk) is the one WITH the FOG LIGHTS. You can buy the wrong one WITHOUT the FOGS so be careful which one you buy. Also, when replacing the new switch (stalk) the little black box on top of the OLD switch that controls the flasher unit has to come off and transferred to the NEW switch. Failure to do that will make you loose the turn signal capability.
Yes it's the one with the fogs, oddly enough the one w/o is around $99, go figure.
__________________
02' Touring
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fog light issue mattsptgt General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 23 Mar 2013 02:54 pm
Fog light issue Shiniquiet General PT Cruiser Discussions 5 26 Jan 2013 03:44 pm
Reverse light issue neworder18 General PT Cruiser Discussions 17 10 Sep 2012 11:47 am
brake light issue dunnboy Tech & Performance Forum 2 09 Mar 2012 04:30 pm
Engine light issue Silverlemon General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 10 Feb 2009 06:52 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors