PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft Position Sensor

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2013, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Camshaft Position Sensor

Hello all new to the forums here and I have a serious question I have a 2006 Cruiser with 60k miles and Ive had the position sensor changed twice now by my mechanic. Now he is telling me that to fix it so it stays fixed is going to cost me around 1000 dollars. He is telling that the cam seal needs to be replaced and when he does that he also needs to replace the timing belt and the water pump I am wondering how true this is? Anyone know for sure if all this has to be done so that it does not leak oil on to the sensor anymore?

Thanks Kurt
Old 14 Jun 2013, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtwk5 View Post
Hello all new to the forums here and I have a serious question I have a 2006 Cruiser with 60k miles and Ive had the position sensor changed twice now by my mechanic. Now he is telling me that to fix it so it stays fixed is going to cost me around 1000 dollars. He is telling that the cam seal needs to be replaced and when he does that he also needs to replace the timing belt and the water pump I am wondering how true this is? Anyone know for sure if all this has to be done so that it does not leak oil on to the sensor anymore?

Thanks Kurt
This is not making since. The cam seal is at the other end of the head. Passenger right side. The cam sensor is on the driver left side. The cam sensor seal is on the sensor itself. Wouldn't effect any thing but leaf a little oil. I have run into the aftermarket sensor being bad or short lived from advance. But all this has nothing to do with the work he says is necessary. The sensor pickup or magnet can be bad as well. The oil is supposed to be in were the magnet and sensor is. Try a oem sensor. Two 8mm bolts and one connector and your done. A DIY for sure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2013, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Find yourself another mechanic...or, get a good camshaft sensor from the Chrysler dealer and also replace the magnet in back of the sensor inside the hole.

While the sensor and magnet are out, look for excessive oil in the hole around the cam shaft end.

You didn't exactly say, unless I missed it, what your problem is. Seeping oil, sputtering from the engine, hard to start?

As busted said, that mechanic is talking two different areas of the engine and yes it's an expensive, time consuming job for the timing belt and unless your somewhere around 100,000 miles, it shouldn't be touched.

Oh Yea, Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK the problem is sputtering and stalling out and the mechanic has said that its excessive leaking oil thats ruining the sensor. It has been replaced twice now the one in the car now being the second sensor.

I guess I was just wondering is if he does tear the motor down does he really have to redo the timing belt and water pump?

And no Im not close to 100,000 ive just turned 60,000 in the car and it has been wonderful everything works and then I run into this little problem.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, again, tearing down the engine should have nothing to do with the timing belt if he's just taking the head off to fix the oil leak at the camshaft end. I'm not sure, but there may be a way of replacing the seal at the end of the cam shaft. I'll try and look it up unless someone here knows.

EDIT: From what I can find in a search, the Camshaft seal CAN be replaced to stop the leak. Now the problem is to find a competent mechanic that will follow your instructions and just replace the seal without tearing apart the engine.
pluminator likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jun 2013 at 09:20 am.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much for the information it is incredibly helpfull I didnt want to get taken for a ride in my own car. I just want it fixed
Old 15 Jun 2013, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, again, tearing down the engine should have nothing to do with the timing belt if he's just taking the head off to fix the oil leak at the camshaft end. I'm not sure, but there may be a way of replacing the seal at the end of the cam shaft. I'll try and look it up unless someone here knows.

EDIT: From what I can find in a search, the Camshaft seal CAN be replaced to stop the leak. Now the problem is to find a competent mechanic that will follow your instructions and just replace the seal without tearing apart the engine.

This will have no effect on the cam sensor. As there is no seal on that end of the cam There is supposed to be oil in where the sensor is . This is normal. Even if it was clogged somehow and backing up in that area. It would not affect the cam sensors performance. Only push out around the cam sensor seal. Witch is made on the sensor itself. I just had a guy to go through this with advance. Two in a row showed the same thing as what he came in for. I to thought he had to have a bad magnet but that was not the case in his case. but it is some what common. Put my used cam sensors in and it ran fine with no light. The third one worked fine . But how long. He got five months the first time.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jun 2013, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Busted, got to admit I tried to find the posting about replacing the seal and after re-reading all that I could find the seal that would stop the oil leak is with the sensor itself. Most of the posts I looked up were a cross between the Crankshaft and Camshaft seals. They started talking about one, then switched over to the other. the best one I found was from the pt.cruizer.com site which said:

The sensor will have some oil in it. This is normal, and the replacement sensor should come with a replacement seal in the box to keep the oil in. Clean the area around the sensor, being very careful not to get anything in the exposed area normally covered by the sensor. Then insert the gasket into the sensor and put it in. If, later, you get an oil leak, you can carefully use RTV to seal it but, again, avoid getting any foreign material into that exposed bit of engine.

Old 15 Jun 2013, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Busted, got to admit I tried to find the posting about replacing the seal and after re-reading all that I could find the seal that would stop the oil leak is with the sensor itself. Most of the posts I looked up were a cross between the Crankshaft and Camshaft seals. They started talking about one, then switched over to the other. the best one I found was from the pt.cruizer.com site which said:

The sensor will have some oil in it. This is normal, and the replacement sensor should come with a replacement seal in the box to keep the oil in. Clean the area around the sensor, being very careful not to get anything in the exposed area normally covered by the sensor. Then insert the gasket into the sensor and put it in. If, later, you get an oil leak, you can carefully use RTV to seal it — but, again, avoid getting any foreign material into that exposed bit of engine.
That about covers that doesn't CREWZIN. So I don't know given the information, what is up with any oil leak. But if they go get a good cam sensor that will cure the running issue. The other sure won't help any of that. Will it.

And people over tighten the sensor bolts and crack the housing and sometimes cause a leak. But even this won't affect the running or the sensor.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 15 Jun 2013 at 12:14 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That about covers that doesn't CREWZIN. So I don't know give the information given what is up. With any oil leak. But if they go get a good cam sensor that will cure the running issue. The other sure won't help any of that. Will it.

And people over tighten the sensor bolts and crack the housing and sometimes cause a leak. But even this won't affect the running or the sensor.
Correct.