Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stiffer rear springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2013, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stiffer rear springs

Does anyone make rear springs that run towards the stiffer side without lowering the car? I just picked up new shocks for my GT that are firmer than the originals, and I'll be getting new struts soon. I also want firmer springs in back, but between driving in snow and on roads with questionable quality I really don't want it lower.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stiffer rear springs

This is actually a better solution to your quest then stiffer springs.

Air Lift Air Springs Bags Rear Chrysler PT Cruiser Kit 60788
Air Lift Air Springs Bags Rear Chrysler PT Cruiser Kit 60788 | eBay

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Jun 2013, 02:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Chuck; another alternative would be to get springs from a GT convertible. Because the convertible is heavier, the springs should be stiffer. This is only a theory!
Old 17 Jun 2013, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to Tien and Eibach the 2 Door Convertible and 4 door Sport package and other model PT's have the same size spring diameter and rate. It would appear that the only suspension handling difference of the convertible PT is the standard larger front sway bar which is an option on the sport models including the GT?

The only thing I have ever found to substantiate any claims is that the parts numbers from Chrysler are different and several for all the springs however a supersede part number/engineering guide shows many to be the same spring?

In the few various PT's I have worked on convertible GT and standard PT I did not see any difference in the rear or for the matter the front springs as far as static height and coil diameter when changing struts,shock or installing lowering springs?
This is just an unofficial and not to be a factual conclusion on my part.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Jun 2013, 05:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Nitro; I agree with your ideas on the springs. Why so many factory numbers? The heavier cars would require stiffer springs and the GT's would require even stiffer springs. Without specifications it is a guessing game.

Superceded part numbers are done for many reasons. Improved parts, redesigned parts which cost less, parts that can be used in dual applications, and similar parts which are out of stock and would require only a short production run to satisfy the demand. This would cost too much, so like parts are substituted that will work well, even though they are not exactly the same as the originals. How's that for theory! Your opinion is welcome.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a stock set of 2005 GT springs 2001 NA springs and 2005 Convertible. They are all the same static height the 2005 GT and Convertible springs coil diameter are 0.510 and the 2001 NA is 0.472. That is a 1 mm difference. Unfortunately they are both to large for my spring pressure tester designed for valve springs. The coil diameter size difference is inconclusive without a pressure test (rate compression per inch.). Also the 2001 base model NA had a production year 6/2001 so it was manufactured in the year 2000 and was one of the very first PT's sold on the market. The part number tag on the 2001 NA spring does not come up at all in the MOPAR parts index? Based on that alone my measurement are not comparable because I can not verify the springs from the OEM of the 2001 NA. So no opinions from me as I tend to lean more for facts and empirical data rather then IMO's.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Jun 2013, 02:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Nitro; thanks for the spring info. You have added to the knowledge base of rear springs. That is; the diameter of the coils IS relevant.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:25 pm
Banned

The rear springs were just replaced on my '06 Touring Edition (101000 miles) with Moog #81053 which are basically equal to the stock OEM springs. The front struts and springs, front lower control arms, rear shocks and rear Watts links have also been recently replaced. There was a height difference from left to right before the spring change, and there is still a height difference left to right after the spring change (left side lower by 1" as measured at the rear wheel well). Is it normal for there to be a height difference from the left to right just because there is more "stuff" on the left side (steering column, muffler, and anything else) or should the vehicle sit level? Thanks.

Last edited by rckstein; 21 Jan 2014 at 05:53 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is normal suspension component wear. You would need to replace ALL the bushings,all new suspension dampers to regain the original ride height. There are ride height specifications in a factory service manual that give the exact number for each model.

This is also why there are reports that some lowering spring give different end results. it is not the springs but the normal wear of the chassis they are installed on.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is normal suspension component wear. You would need to replace ALL the bushings,all new suspension dampers to regain the original ride height. There are ride height specifications in a factory service manual that give the exact number for each model.

This is also why there are reports that some lowering spring give different end results. it is not the springs but the normal wear of the chassis they are installed on.
I don't think it's anything I'm going to worry about or serious, it's not something that I was trying to correct, the components that have been recently replaced were due to them wearing out. I just happened to take a measurement at the rear wheel wells one day out of curiosity. Checking some online sources, they say that up to 1" difference is still considered "within specs" anything more then replacement of other components may be necessary. The vehicle rides fine, there are no tire wear issues and the all four wheels are within alignment specs.

Last edited by rckstein; 21 Jan 2014 at 08:11 pm.