Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 pt evaporator core

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2013, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 pt evaporator core

Hey I am new to the forum. Hoping someone could give me some pointers.

I took my pt to the shop to check out the a/c and they confirmed that the evaporator core is dead. Just blows air now and there was mist coming out of the vents before it died.

So anyway, after getting a price of $800, I would rather do this myself. Does anyone know of any tutorials or instructions for taking apart the dash to get to the core? Thanks!
Old 18 Jun 2013, 11:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 pt evaporator core

just had mine done. the heater core is in the same area, so might as well get em both. the entire dash has to come out to access the area. ask them if they'll let you buy your own parts and if they'll just charge for labor. i don't think you want to take on this challange. some say it's more involved and difficult than changing the timing belt, which is a nightmare for most people.

the dealer i took mine to wanted $600 just for the evap core, not including labor. i got both the evap and heater core on amazon for less than $125, saving me over $500.

you could probably do it yourself. the freon has to be removed from the system for obvious reasons.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 pt evaporator core

jaded,

Do you trust the mechanic that diagnosed the A/C??? When my low pressure/recycling switch went bad on my PT, I had mist coming out of mine. That was because when the switch went bad, the compressor never shuts off and things start to freeze up and almost nothing comes into the interior cabin because it's iced over. I could switch the A/C over to heat (hard to do in the summer) for about 10 minutes OR turn the whole thing off for awhile so the ice melts. Then, awhile later, turn the A/C back on and everything was good ...until it froze up again.

Try shutting the whole A/C system off for awhile and then on again to see if anything comes out of the evap core. Maybe not but at least you gave it a try.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Tags
2002, a/c, evaporator core, manual transmission