PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 Front Bumper pulled off

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2013, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Front Bumper pulled off

I've seen a few posts about this on here but I couldn't tell if damage to their cars were similar to mine or not. This morning I hit a parking bar (I don't know the proper term for it) and as usual it scrapes a bit if I've gotten too close. What I didn't realize was that it apparently really caught onto it and when I back out of it, it pulled my bumper. Luckily it didn't pull it all the way off but it did pull the frame out of attachment near the headlights. I'll attach some pictures for you to see. That's the main damage, and in general it feels a bit more wobbly/out of place. What would I be looking at repair-wise? Do I need to replace the whole bumper or can you just reattach that? Any advice would be appreciated. Gah I'm so bummed...my poor baby, it was in such great condition!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt061.jpg (86.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg pt062.jpg (88.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:16 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: 06 Front Bumper pulled off

I am assuming you pulled up too far in a parking lot and either hit the sidewalk curb or the concrete stops in the lot????

I see alot of old people do that, thinking they have to pull all the way until their tires hit. They are probably recollecting the day when their car was a big as a whale and had to do that to get it in the parking space.

The front piece might just be loose (not to be confused with lose) , but it is going to need some paint work.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Front Bumper pulled off

mine was the same way my wife did that at the grocery store I was pissed,
I replaced the whole bumper.
tinted windows, led dome lights
Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the concrete blocks....that's what it was. Did you see the pictures I posted?
I'm afraid I might have to replace the bumper. How much did you have to pay to get yours replaced? I feel like this is such a stupid mistake to have to pay so dearly for. It's not like I hit a big object or another car...GRRR.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 06:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That bumper cover looks ripped to me. That is bad news. I don't know about fixing it. I would check a body shop first to see if it can be done. You could always go through insurance if you have collision. Say it happend in a parking lot. I would leave out the Cement stop info.
randyincctx likes this.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is it pretty easy to replace the front bumper yourself? I've seen the tutorial videos it doesn't seem that bad, just a hassle to take the tires off, etc.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
That bumper cover looks ripped to me. That is bad news. I don't know about fixing it. I would check a body shop first to see if it can be done. You could always go through insurance if you have collision. Say it happend in a parking lot. I would leave out the Cement stop info.
YES...Based on the photos;The mounting tabs are ripped of at the top seam of the bumper cover,and it will need replacing....I don't think there is ANY way to 'repair' the mounting tabs.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaister View Post
Is it pretty easy to replace the front bumper yourself? I've seen the tutorial videos it doesn't seem that bad, just a hassle to take the tires off, etc.
Depending on your personal skill level,tools,and familiarity with them and the process(Youtube does help!).....Yes,you can probably do it your self given a day or two;I'm not sure but you may or may not want to get it painted first.(unless you find one the same color from a salvage yard.)...Otherwise most new ones come in black and/or primed ready to paint.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

For future reference you might want to check this thread out: Curb Feelers....For the front bumper/airdam/valance.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks randy. I guess nothing to do but replace the bumper...bah time to get some quotes. How long do you think I can go without replacing them? That's the only part that's ripped, otherwise it's pretty sturdy on there still yet. I wonder if I'll pass a safety check...I do have one coming up...darnit!