Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Stabilizer Mount Bolts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2013, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front Stabilizer Mount Bolts

Even though I soaked them with penetrating oil and carefully tried removing them, I sheared off three of the four front stabilizer mounting bolts on my 2007 PTC. A few broken drill bits and bolt remover later, I used a hammer & punch to pop the sheared bolts & their nuts into the frame. At the front bolt mount, there's a hole in the boxed frame through which I might be able to get a new nut in. The back mount bolts are a different story: can't get at the inside of the frame at all from under the car. I saw in a different post that the control arm nut locations are accessible by cutting a hole in the car's floor. Is that the case with the rear bolts of the stabilizer mount? Or are they truly inaccessible? Besides cutting a hole in the side of the frame to get at the locations, is there any other way to get the nuts in there? The frame rail looks heavy enough that I'm considering tapping the bolt holes and screwing the mounts right to them.

Whoever designed this setup needs to spend the better part of a day under a PTC on ramps in the driveway trying to drill out the broken bolts. Not the best design....
Old 23 Jun 2013, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Stabilizer Mount Bolts

Would have been a better idea to center punch the broken bolt and re-tap the threads instead of beating the welded nut off the frame. Your not going to get access by way of floor board. The control arm bolts are very long and actually bolt to the body of the pt. as your bolts are attached to the k frame.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jun 2013, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Considering how easy the nuts popped off, I don't think I would have been able to retap the threads. As it was, I went thru a number of bits trying to drill through the studs.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 07:32 am
Regular Cruiser

How did you get on with this? What did you do to fix the problem?

I have to tackle my stabiliser bushes tomorrow and I think a previous owner may have sheared a bold and just screwed another in to cover the hole left, probably only holding by a few threads.

Not looking forward to shearing any more.

Tony
Old 10 Jan 2014, 08:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Front Stabilizer Mount Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I think a previous owner may have sheared a bold and just screwed another in to cover the hole left, probably only holding by a few threads.

Tony
The sheared one(if it is?).....Should be drilled out,and re-taped if neccessary;As for the other bolts here's what I would personally do: "PB Blaster...Let it soak....PB Blaster...Let it soak....(Get the idea?)"
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
How did you get on with this? What did you do to fix the problem?

I have to tackle my stabiliser bushes tomorrow and I think a previous owner may have sheared a bold and just screwed another in to cover the hole left, probably only holding by a few threads.

Tony
Well, initially I purchased a set of threaded inserts from Grainger and was going to fix it that way. They're sort of like expanding hollow wall fasteners. But to get them to work, the hole has to be drilled carefully so the insert fits snug since you will be expanding it by screwing in the bolt. Since the Crusier was up on ramps, I didn't have a lot of room to work in. On a whim, I decided to tap the holes in the frame and just run bolts into them. I figured if they pulled out, I'd just be back to where I started.

So that's what I did - tap and bolt on three of the four connectors (was able to salvage one). I checked every few weeks to see if the bolts loosened or pulled out but they were OK. Have now put on a few thousand miles and everything looks OK.

It may not be the best or most elegant solution, but it worked.

Depending on which bolt broke: one of them is actually accessible thru a hole in the frame behind it. It takes a little snaking around but you can get at it. In my case, the accessible one was the one that was OK (figures).
If you have your car in the air on a rack with room to work, consider a threaded insert.

Last edited by jmahun; 10 Jan 2014 at 11:16 am.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys

Now armed with lots of GT85 (same as WD40), drills, taps, extra bolts and an impact wrench. Fingers crossed. Now if only the rain holds off.....

Tony
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Now armed with lots of GT85 (same as WD40)
I'd still recommend PB Blaster....It's saved my life(not actually) in situations where WD-40 didn't do 'doodley-d*ck'(PB has a penetrating catalyst);Once you've used PB,you'll probably never use anything else again on rusty,stuck,or frozen bolts & nuts(or almost ANY parts!).
Here's an insightful link: Twisted off bolt in brake caliper (P3 Lights) - ADVrider

Last edited by randyincctx; 10 Jan 2014 at 01:50 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not sure I can buy PB Blaster in the UK. Searching now.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 04:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure I can buy PB Blaster in the UK. Searching now.
Didn't realize you were in the UK;That makes a difference....You can't just run down to the Autozone,and pick some up then!lol..........I did some searching,and found a UK item that some say works just as well (UK version of PB Blaster) called ''Plus Gas'';I've never heard of it myself....But,it's mentioned on this link: PB Blaster, nuts-off or Pen Penetrating fluid-where in the UK? - RIBnet Forums
The main thing is to find a very good one,and be sure to let it soak up into the nut & bolts;Maybe even spraying 2-3 times a day,for 2-3 days;The key is to let 'it' do the work for you.

Last edited by randyincctx; 10 Jan 2014 at 04:47 pm.