Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Ceramic Brake Pads any one?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2013, 05:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Question Front Ceramic Brake Pads any one?

Looking in to new front brake pads. I can get a good deal on ceramic pads. there are two qualities though.
Premium-
Premium Ceramic Brake Pads-Direct fit and designed for vehicle specific applications.
Engineered with high grade composite materials.
Chamfered and Slotted to prevent heat expansion cracks and reduced brake noise.
Now featuring Premium Shim - the new standard for quiet, reliable braking.

Performance-
Performance Ceramic Brake Pads-Scientifically formulated rubber coated shim reduces brake noise and absorbs vibration.
Integrally molded, slotted, and chamfered providing reduced noise, greater stability, and superior stopping
Solid friction and temperature performance.

Which should I get? The Performance pads are twice as much as the Premium. The one thing is do ceramic pads squeal? Im new to ceramic.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Front Ceramic Brake Pads any one?

FYI, and hope you have better luck, but I have been having a bear of a time getting my son in laws brakes to quit squealing on his 06 Fusion.

I put the Advance Auto "Gold" ceramics on, and they are driving us nuts with the noise.

I even went ahead and glued them on as well as having the anti noise shim in place.

I was contemplating ceramics for my PT, but I am doubtful now. Might go with the cheapies, when it comes time.

Odd thing is, I put a full set of ceramics on my GF's Avenger a couple of years ago, and had no issues.....Go figure
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 24 Jun 2013, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Front Ceramic Brake Pads any one?

I had great luck with the ceramic pads on the front of the 2006 GT Vert, Black Sheep.
No noise, and practically no dust.
I believe that I picked up the last factory run on the Raybestos Ceramics.

Down side - I didn't keep the vert but 3 years. So, I may not have run into enough rotor wear, with the limited mileage I put on her.

I'm already tired of cleaning the dust on the front end of the 2010 Couture.
So, I am eagerly awaiting replacing them.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've had ceramics on my PT for the past few years. Much less brake dust compared to the original pads; no noise issues.

2005 N/A, Cool Vanilla
Adds
PT Wheel Centers, PT Valve Stem Caps
Mopar Chrome Exhaust Tip
Mopar Molded Rear Splash Guards
Mopar Rear Step Pad
K&N Filter
Pioneer Speakers/Receiver w/BlueTooth & HD Radio
Mopar Powered Sub
Old 24 Jun 2013, 10:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

LOVE MY KIT FROM CARID... Shipped right away and excellent service/price/quality.. There's a tad more dust than I thought, but we all love our PT's and they get washed anyway

PowerStop® - Chrysler PT Cruiser 2003 1-Click Brake Kit
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 07:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
FYI, and hope you have better luck, but I have been having a bear of a time getting my son in laws brakes to quit squealing on his 06 Fusion.

I put the Advance Auto "Gold" ceramics on, and they are driving us nuts with the noise.

I even went ahead and glued them on as well as having the anti noise shim in place.

I was contemplating ceramics for my PT, but I am doubtful now. Might go with the cheapies, when it comes time.

Odd thing is, I put a full set of ceramics on my GF's Avenger a couple of years ago, and had no issues.....Go figure
Welcome to the world of ceramics :-D

If your rotors are old, scored, warped or anything other than perfect. 80% of ceramics will squeal *sounds like the brake warning indicator* I learned this at a young age when i threw some ceramics on a 89 Cadillac :-D haha too brand new performance rotors to stop the squeaks
Old 25 Jun 2013, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Welcome to the world of ceramics :-D

If your rotors are old, scored, warped or anything other than perfect. 80% of ceramics will squeal *sounds like the brake warning indicator* I learned this at a young age when i threw some ceramics on a 89 Cadillac :-D haha too brand new performance rotors to stop the squeaks
The right rear had a bad caliper, so the rotor was toast. It got the whole shebang, and squeals like a pig...Grrrrrrrr
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have Power Slot rotors all around and ceramic pads all around, I don't remember the brand of pads, no noise at all. I installed them about 5-6 years ago, probably have 60k miles on them...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 25 Jun 2013, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I put Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic with new rotors on my PT last summer. No noise, reliable stop. I am happy with it. I bought the pads from Amazon at a reasonable price.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ceramic pads are good , but , I would recommend you replace the rotors too . So to prevent issues such as glazing of the new pads on a worn surface ,and possible squeeeeell .

As far as performance pads go, are you road racing ?,or parking lot cone racing ? ( SCCA ) racing ? Then they are great , but remember for good performance pads to work ,they must be hot to get the best braking performance from them . ( special Extreme heat treated compounds )

Your driving style will help you decide what you need . Hope that helps you

P.S. Wagner Thermoquiet are great as well as Raybestos

Last edited by silverdash; 26 Jun 2013 at 08:26 pm.