Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC not cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question AC not cooling

It's getting tougher for a shade tree machanic to work on these new cars. I have recharged vechicle ac various times over the years but not sure about this one. compressor keeps kicking on and off as though it low on freon. but all I have in the one gauge for the low side and it's in the red as though there may be too much freon. Bottom line is the system just blows cool air but not cold. Any thoughts?? It's a 2002 pt cruiser.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: AC not cooling

do a search for the radiator fan. it has 2 speeds and they're prone to go bad in our cars. chances are the high speed is shot, which cools the compressor. you should hear it when you turn the a/c on.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 09:58 pm
Young Cruiser

^^^Agree check your fan, you should be able to hear it when it's on high.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 01:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: AC not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheff View Post
It's getting tougher for a shade tree machanic to work on these new cars. I have recharged vechicle ac various times over the years but not sure about this one. compressor keeps kicking on and off as though it low on freon. but all I have in the one gauge for the low side and it's in the red as though there may be too much freon. Bottom line is the system just blows cool air but not cold. Any thoughts?? It's a 2002 pt cruiser.
I used A/C Pro on my truck over a year ago,and it STILL freezes Balls!!!!!........I don't know if anyone here has used it,but it worked for me....and it SEALS LEAKS too.Car Air Conditioning Recharge Products AC PRO, ACP 100, ACP 102, ACP 101
Old 25 Jun 2013, 06:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fan is running and in hi speed. I became aware of the fan system with my son's 03 pt. Motor burned up in it.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheff View Post
It's getting tougher for a shade tree machanic to work on these new cars. I have recharged vehicle ac various times over the years but not sure about this one. compressor keeps kicking on and off as though it low on freon. but all I have in the one gauge for the low side and it's in the red as though there may be too much freon. Bottom line is the system just blows cool air but not cold. Any thoughts?? It's a 2002 pt cruiser.
If I understand your post correctly, you have one gauge and not a two gauge set. Is that right? If that's so, you are right, it'll be more difficult to diagnose refrigerant problems.

Does your gauge just have colors, or does it also have pressures on it? So by being in the red, can I assume that the pressure is too high, as you have indicated? That can indicate that moisture has gotten into the lines, if I recall correctly. Vacuuming the lines is a first step. Then it's a good idea to see how long the system will hold vacuum. If it won't hold 29 inches (depending on your altitude) for 15 or so minutes, there are problems. If there has been moisture for quite a while, the accumulator is likely contaminated and should be replaced. But if it holds vacuum, I don't replace the accumulator.

So if it holds vacuum for 15+ minutes, I go ahead and refill the system with R-134 using a thermometer in the center A/C vent, with the setting on maximum recirculate, engine at 1500 RPM in neutral, windows closed. I never put in more R-134 than the sticker under the hood calls for, and I'll err on the side of less. (My truck performs better than 2 ounces less than the 34 ounces stated on the sticker.) I stop filling when the minimum temperature is reached, but also watching the manifold gauges to make sure that nothing is going wrong. It's good to have someone in the car to watch engine temperature, also.

What's the year of your car and where do you live? Those affect what can be wrong. Old car, hot climate, high mileage add up to problems. Do not ask how I know.

What I have described is what I do, and is completely from memory. It may not apply to you. Good luck.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:40 am
Young Cruiser

I had an issue with mine this spring (pressure switch popped out of back of compressor). It wouldn't come on. When I put the gauge on it, it was in the red. Once it was working, it read normal pressure. I read on other sites that if the system isn't running, it may cause the gauge to read red even if it is at proper pressure.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can vouch for the above, if the system isn't on it'll read red, I had that today trying to diagnose an overheat issue. Last summer I had to replace the fan, all relays and fuses were good and it looks like that's the issue again but damn am I going to have to put a fan a year in this thing that's a lot of money. any ideas on whats could cause the fan to burn out that fast?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoddern View Post
I can vouch for the above, if the system isn't on it'll read red, I had that today trying to diagnose an overheat issue. Last summer I had to replace the fan, all relays and fuses were good and it looks like that's the issue again but damn am I going to have to put a fan a year in this thing that's a lot of money. any ideas on whats could cause the fan to burn out that fast?
is it a dorman fan? if so, there's a lifetime warranty. if not, couldn't tell you. if you have to buy another fan, get a dorman. amazon and rockauto have them for less than $100.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

not sure, I'll have to ask the mechanic my fiancÚ took it to, thank you I'll make sure we get one of those this time