Dreaded MFS issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PTN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2013, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dreaded MFS issues

Hi ya all,

Kinda new here, I used to be on here using a different screenname, but I have a question for you PT smarties (is that even a word?).

02 LE with about 70K on the ODO. About a year or so I got the Fog lights staying on and draining the battery thing due to a faulty Multi-Fuction Switch (MFS). At the time the car wasn't a daily driver and when it was driven it was just around town with a occasional road trip tossed in so we just pulled the fuse and left it at that, everything else worked for which it remained that way until a month ago.
Finally got the time and money to get the MFS (also a driver door lock motor) and changed it out with not much issue in less then an hour. Pretty straight forward. Kept the flasher relay that was in it, still worked yesterday on 120 mile jaunt for cherry picking using the turn signals all the way.
Next day after installing the MFS and pushing the exsiting flasher in it bent one of the contactors inside so at my first attempt to test it shorted out and blew a fuse.
Since Rockauto.com would not exchange the unit for me I decided to have a look inside and sure enough without much effort I was able to open it up and find the bent/misaligned connection, bent it back into shape and closed up the switch.
Re-installed in car, replaced burnt fuses, put the fuse back in the Fog Light socket and now Fog Lights worked great.....off/on no worries. Hazard lights works....ok, good. Hmm, no turn signals!
OK, replaced flasher with new Bussman 727 relay ($27), still nadda!
Put old MFS back in and now Hazard light activation pops the fuse instantly.
I'm guessing now the orginal Flasher was good, it worked in Hazard mode and all the fixtures have working lamps in them (4).
I'm at a loss and can NOT afford to just toss parts at it, whatta think?????
Any and all input is welcomed and I thank you in advance for reading my problem.

Is the grey plastic connector (20 pin?) a cause for concern? All the pins looked good and straight, every port that had a wire going in it had a visible connector showing at the other side. All the pins on the MFS looked straight and clean..............completely frustrated..............

At this point I'm going to try and locate a 20 pin connector and see what happens unless you got another idea?????????????

Thx, John & Kristi
Old 25 Jun 2013, 09:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dreaded MFS issues

try reading this before you spend more money:

PT Cruiser Turn Signal Problems | eHow

hope it helps.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 05:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, thank you but I believe at this point it is more then a burnt lamp or fuse.........
Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

....bump....
Old 29 Jun 2013, 03:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Dreaded MFS issues

Have you attempted to see what it does when you re-install the OLD MFS?......j/s
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

PTN posted:
"Put old MFS back in and now Hazard light activation pops the fuse instantly."

Thanks Randy for your reply..........I did try and re-install the old switch after a careful inspection and cleaning. This was done prior to having any knowledge of this issue with the PT's so I was more focused on the component that I knew had a problem, the MFS itself. At that point I figured it had to be either a bad "new" switch or the flasher. After a new flasher same result with either switch.
After some more research recently here on this site I have gained some more insight to the issue from all the great posts from all the "in-the-know" folks here........
So, unless I find more info to lead me elsewhere I have left the new MFS in with the old flasher unit (at least the Fog Lights work, that was the orignal problem). Looks like my attention needs to be placed with the connection to the switch which aparently has a weak spot in it's design. Mine looks ok but what else could it be? I am going to get a replacement for that connector in the coming week and re-do that and see what happens.......

Again, thanks for the posting........
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by PTN; 03 Jul 2013 at 10:30 am.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced the connector, $75. No change..........everything works except turn signals: Couple of pics showing the old connector:

Any thoughts????????
Old 15 Jul 2013, 12:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Dreaded MFS issues

Well you've tried the simple fixes....Now's where it's gonna start getting complicated!;You obviously have an 'in-line' problem somewhere between the MFS and the PDC......The best thing I can offer is this link,and you can go from there:http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...ser-blows.html....Aside from that;maybe there is a auto electronics specialty shop(the kind that installs Cruise Controls,Remote Starters,etc.) near you that can trace it down.
Old 02 Sep 2013, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the MFS problem. I didn't mind getting a new switch. My problem is I need the connector block for my car that connects the harness to the MFS, as shown in PTN's post below. The MFS broke last month and even after replacing it twice, I don't have headlights.

Turns out the connector was crushed sometime in the past, either when the dealer had to replace the airbag, for a warning light, or when some part on the steering column failed that required replacing the entire steering column. That was all under warranty, but that's long expired. Since I had to disconnect the harness to replace the MFS, now the wire for the headlights won't stay in the connector block.

Where can I get a replacement connector block? I found a pigtail kit online, but I don't need all that. I went to pick-a-part and cut two out of junkers, but they were both scorched, and the wire locking pins and locking bars broke as I tried to disassemble them to reuse them.
I will also visit a dealer, but I've been trying to avoid that.
I found a website that said, "Just send us a picture of the connector and we can get it for you". I did that, they wanted $150.00! No sale.

Below are pictures of the connectors I tried to reuse, and the results of trying to take them apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_01.jpg (30.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_02.jpg (34.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_03.jpg (42.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_04.jpg (32.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_05.jpg (31.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_06.jpg (32.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PT MFS Conn_07.jpg (29.7 KB, 18 views)
2002 Ltd Ed, Original Owner, Currently 20X,XXX miles, Optima Red75/35, Airaid Air filter, Energy Suspension urethane bushings, Shift Boogers, Monroe Struts, MSD, LED front turn signals and all rear lights.
I have gotten 30 mpg when I had a long commute in 2006-7, but the mileage has dropped to the mid 20's and it's consuming a quart of oil a month.
Old 02 Sep 2013, 08:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

100% of PT's have these burnt, and Neons use the same connector- Every single one is burnt!

Rockauto.com has them

You can order connectors thru Chrysler- There's a page in the FPM (Factory Parts Manual) that gives a website to get the Part Number.

There's FPM's available for DL in links in my signature

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1P1610 $65.79