Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cruserdad1976
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steaming up PT

Hi everyone. My 01 touring edition wind screen has bee fogging up recently when I turn on the fan. No visible leaks although I do get a slight coolant smell when getting back into the vehicle and starting up after it has been warmed up.Temperature gauge reading is normal around midway. Cooling fan is operating normally. Rad was replaced about 3 years ago. This is my daily driver and has 100,000 miles on her. I am suspecting the heater core which is a huge job so I am trying to avoid that. I also suspect it must be a very small leak somewhere I can not detect? Any suggestions or advice is always appreciated!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steaming up PT

sorry to say its about 98% the heater core and yes its a pain they take the whole dash out but that's gonna be the only way to fix it and it will get worse not better
randyincctx likes this.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Steaming up PT

Thanks for your response! What a dumb system......take half the car apart to replace a $50.00 part! It's the same for the water pump, timing belt, A/C compressor, alternator etc., etc,. etc.!!!!!!! These cars were engineered to last 10 years then replaced, not repaired!!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Steaming up PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
sorry to say its about 98% the heater core and yes its a pain they take the whole dash out but that's gonna be the only way to fix it and it will get worse not better
I second that!....It may just be a pinhole leak,but it is somewhere in the heatercore.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can do a block seal treatment. I would strongly suggest not to use a low end stop leak. These will stop more than your leak. Block seals work different. There are some that you leave in. Witch will work very well. With no bad side affects.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:05 am
Senior Cruiser

when you, or a mechanic, replace the heater core, replace the a/c evap since they're both in the same area.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You can do a block seal treatment. I would strongly suggest not to use a low end stop leak. These will stop more than your leak. Block seals work different. There are some that you leave in. Witch will work very well. With no bad side affects.

I agree on this its way easier and depending on your planns for the car its a lot quicker and cheaper
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitoride View Post
....take half the car apart to replace a $50.00 part!
you should try it with a lincoln navigator. more wires, more electronics, dual climate control, 2 heater cores, etc.. you're lucky working on this car, there really isn't much to it. it's no fun to do on any modern car.
Busted_PT and tikitoride like this.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!..... thats great and worth a try I suppose. What is the name of this block seal treatment?? Might just work as I am sure the leak is minor at this point! Cost to repair estimate so far is $ 825. including A/C recharge.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitoride View Post
Thanks!..... thats great and worth a try I suppose. What is the name of this block seal treatment?? Might just work as I am sure the leak is minor at this point! Cost to repair estimate so far is $ 825. including A/C recharge.
There many brands and types. I have used this with good results. They make cheaper alturnitives in the brand. But I have no experience with those. The other types of sealer that require to remove the anti freeze first, are said to work great as well.
Bar's Leaks Block Seal Head Gasket Fix: Automotive : Walmart.com

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com