Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VNT
  • 1 Post By pt06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

I am heartbroken!! While camping in Maine last weekend a tree fell on my 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. The brunt of it came down on the roll bar, but the frame on the convertble top was also damaged on the passanger side. The top it self is fine, no tears or holes.

But as I feared, it looks like the insurance company is going to total it At least that was the recommendation from the adjuster.

I've never had a claim let alone a car totaled so this is new territory for me. I'm happy to have it repaired with aftermarket parts ( The adjuster mentioned that Chysler charges a lot for these repairs) I'm not sure new tops are even an option since the car is no longer manufactured.

Any advise on my option would be appreciated. I put over $4000 into the car in the last 6 months including timing belt, water pump, camshaft sensor lower control arm, upper and lower motor mounts, sway bar, shifer cable and 4 new tires, all in an attempt to extend life of the car.

Will these just be sunk costs?

Will they give offer me Kelly Blue Book which is way less than what I see my car selling for on Craigslist?

Can I take whatever they give me and keep the car and get it repaired on my own?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

OH NO!!!!!!!.....Sorry about your bad luck.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

once they tell you how much you are going to recieve, ask how much to buy it back from them. usually you can buy the car back for a few hundred $$. basically, you end up with your car back and enough money to fix it.

i have state farm. when they totalled my honda, they gave me blue book value, paid for a ruined sweater, and even added on money to get plates and a title on another car. they gave me 6k for a car i told them i paid 2500 for.

if you have a good company, they give you what it costs to buy the same car in the same condition.
you should also have the option to buy it back from them for practically nothing.

Last edited by rob342; 28 Jun 2013 at 03:15 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm reading through my policy. There are some MA spefic regs that read:

General Provisions and Exclusions (Page 30):
Whenever the appraised cost of repair of an auto plus the probable salvage value of theauto may be reasonably expected to exceed the actual cash value of the auto, we shall determine the autos actual cash value. Our determination shall be based on a consideration of all of the following factors:
1.) the retail book value for an auto of like kind and quality, but for the damage
incurred;
2.) the price paid for the auto plus the value of prior improvements to the auto at thetime of the accident, less appropriate depreciation;
3.) the decrease in value of the auto resulting from prior unrelated damage which isdetected by the appraiser; and
4.) the actual cost of purchase of an available auto of like kind and quality but for the damage sustained.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:20 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

That sucks

My "advice" is to "advise" you to take the money after getting the best offer and buy another one. There are alot of low mile verts out there.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if you have reciets some insurance companys will tkae them and add that to there number id buy it back find another one and be happy
Old 29 Jun 2013, 08:11 am
Senior Cruiser

How about some pictures?

Is it drivable, if so bring to some shops and get some estimates, even if they total it, buy it back, offer em cheap.

Be stuborn, dont let them push you around.
randyincctx likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 29 Jun 2013, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First off if the total it and you buy it back you will end up with a salvage title. After that you will have to fix it and have it inspected. Then you get a reconstructed title. Which is hard to get anyone to buy. So yes some picks of different angles. Second a used frame for the top or most likely have to buy the complete top. This would keep it from totaling . Insist on repairing the car. You have more to say about it than they want you to know. If it were mine I would be straightening the top frame myself. But that's just me. Just seen this happen on a camaro and it was her insurance company she was dealing with. It got fixed and no salvage title stuff. I'm sure it will show up on a car fax. But with just the top involved no one will gripe on that to much.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jun 2013, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Tree Fell on my PT Cruiser Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
How about some pictures?
I agree;I'm curious to see just how bad your PT Vert was damaged.......
Old 03 Jul 2013, 03:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Seems to be an expensive way to 'spruce' up your car. [sorry]
VNT likes this.